What's new

Why SHOULDN'T I buy an MDX........ (1 Viewer)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
The main problem I have with them is visibility. You just cannot see around them ... this makes for the most dangerous situations ...especially in heavily congested areas.
I agree, but that is exactly why my 4'10" wife loves her Highlander, as it lets her see better.

Mileage? her V-6 averages about 24 MPG combined

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
That's right. You CAN see better when your sitting higher up. Frankly, if people are upset about having problems seeing around them, then why not lobby for trucks to be removed the road, too? They are more of a gas-hog, have more pollution, clog up the road with their lethargic pace, and are plain scary to drive near. (Of course we can't live without them, though!!!)
Again, this argument is still not good evidence (IMHO) of why I shouldn't get yet another SUV. I've driven them for years, and love 'em!
Okay.....I'll fess up:
I have taken every SUV I've owned off-road several times. Now I don't go and fly through knee-deep mud or get airborne, or anything like that, but I have been know to have to take a vehicle to the detailer and get "brush-marks" removed from the paint. I have gotten every one of them muddy from the trail, too.
I am not getting this vehicle for that, but it WILL see duty on the ole Texas trail. (Just a little)
:D

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
If your not gonna go off road or haul something buy a wagon or a car. Simple as that.

Personally, I think the world would be a much better place if we all drove minis.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to haul, and I am going to tow. And I want a luxury vehicle that doesn't drive like a truck.
(At least as close to luxury that $40k can buy!):D
I have to carry around business prospects all the time, and it often involves toting their kids around, too.
(I sell new homes for a living)
Having all the extra room and comfort is important!
When mom and dad show up with three kids, or if they show up with THEIR mom and dad, I need the additional seating.
(And the comfort level!!)
The minivans can accomplish this, but aren't nearly as impressive, and can't tow 4500 pounds, and typically don't have the advanced traction control/4WD systems.
I think this MDX balances my needs well....

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Many people think the world was a better place when there were NO cars.......but that's a whole different can of worms!:)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
C'mon folks, nobody cares if you like/dislike SUVs. I re-read David's post and nowhere did he ask that. I never thought we would have another topic that would bring out the worst in people like religion or politics, but SUVs are close. Lets not have this be the next topic banned by R&P.
David - if you are really planning on taking your new SUV off-road, think twice about the MDX. It is not intended for rough 4x4 conditions. Its system (as you probably already know) is intended more for bad road conditions than really bad roads such as two-tracks.
One last thing, for all you SUV haters... the MDX is based on the Honda Odyssey minivan. It is not a bunny-squashing, tree-stomping, off-road vehicle. The MDX is basically a glorified minivan with all-wheel drive, plenty of cargo room and a really nice ride! My wife and I found it to be the most efficient combination of room, comfort and safety.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
If your not gonna go off road or haul something buy a wagon or a car. Simple as that.
Who gave you the authority to tell me what to buy?

I will buy what fits my needs and budget. My current SUV fits those needs quite well, and off-roading is not one of my needs. Regarding the original question: It looks like David has found the perfect vehicle for HIS needs. He shouldn't have to justify them.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Sorry Jared, that was just my opinion. I didn't mean for anyone to take it that way.

I guess what I mean is that if you aren't towing or offroading your spending quite a bit of money on features that aren't neccessary to you.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
My thanks to all who responded.
Dennis:
I am aware of the capabilities of the MDX, and thanks for warning me. I am only planning to do some "light" off-roading. There are no real mountains here in North Texas!!
I may take a few trips down to the coast and do some beach running, or maybe some trail dusting in some of the East Texas forests.
My heavy-duty Four-Wheel-Drive days are over. When I want to go crazy off road, the bikes are for that!!!
Another thing to mention:
This vehicle will be driven occsionally by my wife. She does NOT like the big SUVs........and will never be caught dead in a Minivan (her words, not mine!!) She loves this vehicle, feels very compfortable and safe in it. The only reason this is important, is that maybe I can pawn it off to her and get a sports car!!!
(But that will never work, due to my job....can't show a family of homebuyers with a Viper.....)
......Maybe I can buy HER the Viper and switch out now and then???????:D

PatrickM

Screenwriter
On what basis, exactly? The X5 3.0i matches (or nearly matches, depending on the source) the MDX in acceleration (each around the low 8 second range for 0-60). The X5 4.4i does 0-60 in 6.6-6.8 seconds, again depending on the source. I fail to see how the 4.4i is a better comparison to the MDX, acceleration wise.
Jared, yeah I probably went a little far comparing it to the 4.4i. But, I've never seen the 3.0 automatic do 0-60 in anything but the 9's. THe manual maybe but not the automatic.

Patrick

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Now you are talking my language, sports cars. I don't like SUV's because I prefer a good sports car that has responsive handling, robust acceleration, and feeling connected to the road. But that is not what you are looking for, so I save it for another topic.
As for the MDX, I can't give you a reason not to buy one. It seams to be the best SUV out there with a good comprmise between size, luxury, and price. And it is an Acura. I love Acuras. I own a 2001 CL myself. Acura's have excellent build quality, smooth engines, great rides. After a year my CL still feels just like the day I drove it off the lot. You will be happy with the MDX.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
BMW might rate the 3.0 auto in the 9s (just like they rate the 4.4 at 7.5), but I can assure you it does 0-60 in the low 8s (the manual is 7.9).

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jared, if it does then I'm putting it back on my list to look at next year. I didn't want to spend the extra $10,000 CAD over the 3.0 to get the 4.4i (although I'd love to).

Is this the one you owned?

Patrick

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I (still) have the 4.4. I was thinking about trading it in for a new M3, but can't find the funds to do so. It's been a great vehicle for my wife and I.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'd love to get the 4.4. Its just the cost that puts it above what I'm willing to pay at this point.

Are the M3's in Redmond still selling at over MSRP? They are here in Vancouver. I believe list is $70,000 CAD for the M3 coupe and people are selling used (7000kms) for $79,000 CAD.

Patrick

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
New M3s are going for MSRP, I believe, if you order one. If the dealer has one on the lot, they might charge over. The '01 M3 convertible I test drove (10k miles) had an asking price of $57000, which is MSRP. That was at a non-BMW dealer, though. So if you look carefully, they are selling at MSRP - but still some inflated prices out there.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Too bad you can't come up here and buy one. The MSRP for a M3 convertible is $79,000 CAD or $51,000 USD at prevailing rates.

Patrick

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I don't why people say that they are scared of SUV's. It's the pickups that you should be scared of, those things are like tanks. I recently saw an older style F150 rearend a Chevy Malibu and it bounced it clean of its front like it was a cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks