What's new

Why isn't Disney's Descendants on blu-ray? (3 Viewers)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
My daughter is really into Disney's descendants series. I thought it would be fun to watch it in the home theater, and went to get the blu-ray, but apparently they don't exist.

I understand this is a very popular series for them and now with 3 movies out it seems very strange that they would exist only on DVD.

Anybody have any insight here? Are these just made for TV movies and/or were never filmed in HD, so there would be no point in a Blu-ray? Is Disney just being Disney? Especially with all the bright colors and musical soundtracks these films would certainly benefit greatly from HD or even UHD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They're definitely filmed in high definition because they appear in HD on the Disney Channel when they're first broadcast, but like many home video providers, Disney's disc releases of TV product (even popular made-for-TV movies especially if they're designed for young viewers) often get relegated to DVD for home video release.

The movies will most assuredly be on the new Disney+ streaming service starting in November, so you can be sure to see them in HD glory there, but it looks like the only discs available are going to be the DVD versions. I reviewed the first movie in the series on DVD but passed on the others because, like you, I wanted to watch them in HD, and DVDs just don't cut it for movies.

Did you check to see if you can buy HD versions on iTunes or Vudu?

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
You can get HD streams on iTunes. They had a good bundle in early August when number 3 came out. (I got them for my daughter, who is also a fan.)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well that's disappointing. I'm mainly a physical release person, and am not really into streaming. I don't even own iTunes and will not be subscribing to Disney+. Currently I can watch them through the Disney channel on Sling TV, but trying to the other day produced an error saying 'sorry this video cannot load at the moment, please try again later' while others worked just fine. Again reinforcing why I'm a physical person, and hate streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks