What's new

Why in the world is this out of print dvd, going for 79.95 used on amazon ????? (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ok, heres the story on this dvd .Its the out of print school dazed 8 movie set that BCI released, before going out of business.This summer, mill creek rereleased the same exact movies, plus four bonus movies in that set, and called it too cool for school. I have the out of print one as well, but really confused, as to why something with less content, than the rerelease is fetching that much money???

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just because a seller is asking for that price doesn't mean anybody is paying it.

There's a lot of folks out there that seem to think any OOP DVD is a gold mine, even if it's been replaced by a better edition. I see a lot of used DVDs priced at ridiculous amounts, but I've seen no evidence of people actually buying them. I think this is just a case of a delusional seller.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Yeah, but it was more than 1 seller giving it at that price.I understand what youre saying.There are times though, when prices for out of print titles are justified.For example, take license to drive, there was no new edition , so whatever they charge is fair game.But when a new edition is out for a title, the person asking alot for the out of print is either crazy, or just clueless that a newer edition arrived.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I get what you're trying to express - I hope someone re-releases BCI's out-of-print Savage Streets and Final Exam DVDs because I'm seriously considering paying the 'ridiculous' amount they're going for. Most people would consider paying eighty bucks for a movie insane but for some of us, some things are worth the money. It could also go the other way - I paid $79.99 for a VHS in the mid-90's for a movie that was re-released a few years later on DVD for $7.99! In that case, the picture quality of the VHS was actually better than the DVD so I didn't feel too burned. To each his own, right?

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I remember seeing the original The Thin Red Line[kier dullea] at amazon going for a huge price.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
While I don't know if this is the precise reason or not, the Mill Creek versions are highly compressed. There are two movies per single-layer side of a disc. So they've managed to stuff four movies on a single disc for a total of a three disc set. I can't speak for the BCI School Daze set, but their Drive-In sets were one movie per single-layer side, so the compression was significantly better. All that being said, I got the Mill Creek Too Cool for School set, however I also have the BCI Drive-In sets to augment it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
mdntoil, that cant be the reason either.Because the out of print version from BCI, had 2 movies per one side of 2 double sided discs.They were compressed to begin with.While I havent watched anything from the too cool for school set yet, im sure it looks the same.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Fair enough, that was the best I could come up with. Makes me glad I've got the Too Cool for School collection.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Also, according to former BCI head Cliff MacMullen, when Navarre shut down BCI, they haphazardly threw all the master tapes they had into boxes, and when Mill Creek began to license the films, they just handed over the boxes without clear documentation. As a result, often times older panscan transfers of certain titles have been put out by Mill Creek despite receiving clean 16x9 presentations by BCI. So in some cases, the older BCI editions are more desirable because more care went into them.

Real Name
Michael
You know, slightly off-topic, but I've seen ridiculously high prices for used DVDs and video games at a used DVD/video/games/CD store. For example, a used copy of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game there was around 127 dollars (and many fans dislike that game). And a copy of Mickey Mouse in Living Color was around 65 dollars. Of course most things there are (probably) cheaper than they were when they were new, so I don't know why a few items would be overpriced at a used products store.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sometimes it happens. I had someone a few years ago offer me $300 for my copy of "Little Shop of Horrors" DVD with the alternate ending (I said no)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks