What's new

Why don't we see more receiver-based HDCD decoding? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the higher end of the H/K line and some very expensive receivers and pre/pros are the only places i seem to see this offered. i'd really like to see this more standardized on mid-fi and hi-fi processors. why don't more manufacturers use these special DAC's? is it like THX-certification and cost them a bundle?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Marc H

Second Unit
Kevin,

HDCD seems to be hanging in there; limited software still but it's been growing over the last five years or so.

Thomas,

I think the technology is owned by Pacific Microsonics so I am sure a licensing fee must apply. I guess alot of receiver manufacturers are trying to hit price points and don't deem the demand to warrant the extra expense.

H/K seems to put sound quality above all else in their receivers and I think they are targeting the person that would value HDCD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Marc. Licensing fees most likely play a part in it. Also, and to be blunt, most manufacturers focus on home theater first in designing receivers. Music is an afterthought. Thus, you see the latest and greatest surround-sound modes incorporated (6.1, 7.1, THX Ultra, THX Ultra2, DTS-ES, DD EX, DPL II, DTS-NEO, five-channel stereo, pseudo-surround modes, etc., etc., etc.) and less attention to music. Hence, a simple HDCD chip is often left out. However, we are making progress with A/V receivers. Only two years ago, only a handful of receivers offered analog bypass. Still, A/V receivers focus on home theater first, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you want to spend $1000 on an amp for music, buy a stereo amp (integrated amp, power amp). Don't buy an A/V receiver.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like Microsoft has got their hands on HDCD. It is now a "Windows Media Technology" according to Link Removed. My Denon DVD player has an HDCD decoder. I would really like to try it sometime. Will the extra bits make a big difference?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I've never been impressed by HDCD. A gimmick to sell a whole new line of hardware, now irrelevant in the wake of DVD-A and SACD (although I don't think the future looks too bright - in terms of mass acceptance - for the latter two, either). Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks