Why don't we see more receiver-based HDCD decoding?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the higher end of the H/K line and some very expensive receivers and pre/pros are the only places i seem to see this offered. i'd really like to see this more standardized on mid-fi and hi-fi processors. why don't more manufacturers use these special DAC's? is it like THX-certification and cost them a bundle?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I know this one!

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Kevin,

HDCD seems to be hanging in there; limited software still but it's been growing over the last five years or so.

Thomas,

I think the technology is owned by Pacific Microsonics so I am sure a licensing fee must apply. I guess alot of receiver manufacturers are trying to hit price points and don't deem the demand to warrant the extra expense.

H/K seems to put sound quality above all else in their receivers and I think they are targeting the person that would value HDCD.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I agree with Marc. Licensing fees most likely play a part in it. Also, and to be blunt, most manufacturers focus on home theater first in designing receivers. Music is an afterthought. Thus, you see the latest and greatest surround-sound modes incorporated (6.1, 7.1, THX Ultra, THX Ultra2, DTS-ES, DD EX, DPL II, DTS-NEO, five-channel stereo, pseudo-surround modes, etc., etc., etc.) and less attention to music. Hence, a simple HDCD chip is often left out. However, we are making progress with A/V receivers. Only two years ago, only a handful of receivers offered analog bypass. Still, A/V receivers focus on home theater first, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you want to spend $1000 on an amp for music, buy a stereo amp (integrated amp, power amp). Don't buy an A/V receiver.

5. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Looks like Microsoft has got their hands on HDCD. It is now a "Windows Media Technology" according to HDCD web site. My Denon DVD player has an HDCD decoder. I would really like to try it sometime. Will the extra bits make a big difference?

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I've never been impressed by HDCD. A gimmick to sell a whole new line of hardware, now irrelevant in the wake of DVD-A and SACD (although I don't think the future looks too bright - in terms of mass acceptance - for the latter two, either). Just my opinion.