What's new

Why does Costco carry DVD movies in those horrible cardboard boxes? (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Anyone know why this packaging abomination still even exists? I find it odd that Costco (and perhaps some other retail outlets?) still carry DVDs (and audio CDs, for that matter) that are packaged in those tall cardboard boxes, when just about every other mainstream store from BB to Tower Records carries them as-is (no additional packaging)...

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
It's due to the huge volume that Costco does, its impractical to use the normal electronic security alert systems at the doors. Those oversized packages are custom made for Costco (and possibly others) so they make it less easy to shoplift. At least this is the Official reason.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hey at least they are much better than those bullet-proof plastic overcoats. I always cut myself opening those things.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Makes sense, but...
It's due to the huge volume that Costco does, its impractical to use the normal electronic security alert systems at the doors.
Doesn't this sorta fly against reasoning, given that the Costco security drones check your merchandise against your receipt at the exits? Or am I missing something here, in which case can someone please clue me in? Because the way I see things, if there is indeed a huge volume of customers, how can it be impractical for Costco to use those electronic security systems yet make you (and others) wait while they check your receipt on the way out to make sure you didn't take anything that you didn't buy (yeah, right--I really don't believe that this is the reason why they check your receipt)?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
...the Costco security drones check your merchandise against your receipt at the exits?
drones is a very appropriate word. unless you have a tv in that cart, all they do is look, then scratch something on the receipt and wave you through. i've never had anyone give me any type of thorough check...

at least those cardboard cases will deter the casual shop-lifter.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The cardboard cases, in a nutshell, keep the casual shoplifter from sticking the item in his pants easily. It's that simple. :)

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
all they do is look, then scratch something on the receipt and wave you through. i've never had anyone give me any type of thorough check...
Apparently my Costco is different. Mine has the same 107-year-old man armed with a highlighter every time I go. He checks every single item in the cart and holds up the line for about 5 minutes. It's quite frustrating really.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Actually I kinda like them, I got my Pearl Harbor Director's Cut there and it came in a cool box with artwork on the front and features description on back.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
My friend is a Costco manager and he says their is a LOT of DVD theft. I'm sure the bulk is to make stealing more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks