What's new

Why Do Printer Ink Cartridges Cost So Much? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Hewlett Packard charges $35 for their typical color ink cartridge, and nearly that for a simple black ink cartridge. Talk about an item being held at an artificially high price!! It probably costs them $5 to produce these cartridges. You have no choice but to buy the darn thing. Unless you get some of those refilled cartridges they offer online. Has anyone tried these? Is the ink quality the same? I just hate plopping down nearly $40 for an ink cartridge every couple of months. That is where the rascals are making all their money.

Any input on the "refilled" cartridges I have seen online would be appreciated.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's how they make their money. They hardly earn on the printers...

Some of those refill cartridges are OK, problem is: you never know the brand, so you cannot recommend them safely. And some aren't good at all. And you loose your warranty.

Cees

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Do it yourself refills kits are the only way to go. They can be very messy until you get your technique down. I have found that the main trick is to use a good adhesive tape to prevent leaking. The kit I use is made by Nomi. I think the printer manufactures use scare tactics to make people afraid to risk using the refill kits. The ink quality is as good as the original and the cost saving is substantial. I've been doing my own for about 3 years now, with no problems.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
There are some lower-cost cartridges sold that are the equal of the name brands. None of the companies, HP, Epson etc. actually make their cartridges. Most mailorder computer catalogs have them for sale. I'd stay away from the refill versions unless you just have an old black and white printer. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have never been too successful at refilling my own, the ink usually runs out the bottom :angry: Don't know why, it's like it's too thin or something. Oh well.
notice how you can buy a plain HP inkjet printer for $50 now a days, but they come with NO cartridges. and a b&w and color cartridge cost more than the printer.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I believe the reason why HP's cartridges are more is because the print head is imbedded in the cartridge is it not? The Epson ones are just receptacles that are easily refilled and the print head is on the printer itself.

Patrick

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have refilled my HP deskjet 722c and 812c at least a dozen times total, and have never had any problems. In fact, I just refilled both tonight with a kit from Nu*kote $15 each. First time Ive used this brand, but no prolems so far.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its that reason that I only buy Epson printers since its very easy to find cheap knock off cartriges. I've heard some saying that they aren't as good as the OEM ones and it shortens the life span but 1) I have never noticed this and 2) so what if it shortens the life as long as I get a couple of years out if it I'll have saved enough to buy a new one anyway.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
dude i get like 34280975205987 spams every day, all advertising "90% OFF INKJET CARTRIDGES!!!". i'll forward a couple to you if you'd like...;)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I have used some of the ink refills, and I haven't had any problems with them. The first time I tryed to refill it, it did cause a mess, but it does get better. It might take a page or two for it to get back to normal, but that is it.

E

Eric Kahn

new epson printers use a cartridge with an embeded chip to make it harder to use aftermarket cartriges, probably makes it impossible to refill

if the cost of the cartrige bothers you, buy a cannon printer with the 4 seperate ink tanks, black cartridge is 8 bucks for that printer

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I have an old Epson Stylus Color Pro (used to be higher end at the time) and the nozzle was wrecked by Ko-rec ink. It clogged up the nozzle and renders it unusable (still can use it as b/w printer though).

I thought it was an coinkydink, so I use Ko-rec ink for my Epson Stylus Color II. Same thing happened after one cartridge.

I'm through in buying after-market ink.

ps: the color rendition is also not as accurate as the original ink.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Lexmark cartridges are the most expensive I've come across. When I was in PC World it was cheaper to buy a new printer (at sale price) than to by a replacement cartridge for it. The printer even came with a cartrdige!

To replace the cartridges (colour & photo) in my old Lexmark 5700 will cost at least £65. Not much cheaper than getting a new (and better quality) printer.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, the HP print heads are in the cartridge. I was looking at getting a new HP printer recently at Best BUY. ALL OF THE HP PRINTERS they had use the EXACT SAME CARTRIDGES! So, they will ALL print the same quality. I guess the only difference is in speed and paper handling.

I might as well get the copier/scanner/printer combo. It's only $299.00

KyleS

Screenwriter
As posted above that is how they make there money. They really dont make Squat on the printer, which is why all the retailers will usually be within $5 dollars or so of the others price. That and the printer cables that you buy seperately. The only note is that make sure BEFORE you ever get your printer serviced that you remove the ink cartridges. If they can tell that you have refilled your cartridges they will void your warranty. Now that was just a FYI but if it is my I would use the refill kit in an instant because it doesnt take a lot of Ink cartridges to pay for a whole new machine when you are paying 1/5th the cost for ink.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks