What's new

Why do manufacturers still incorporate SVM? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have not read ONE SINGLE POSITIVE COMMENT about SVM. Not here, not in other forums, not in magazine reviews... nowhere. Never.
So why do manufacturers keep implementing it, and further more why are many of them implementing it without any way for the user to easily disable it?
It just baffles me. Anyone know?
/Mike

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
See if you can follow this. SVM makes perfect sense from a manufacturers view point.
In a simplified way of putting it ... SVM adds false edging to images. Now when is this needed? Hmmmm
Well, at high contrast levels on a showroom floor, or in J6P's home, fine details and edges start to bloom or wash out.
So how do you maintain the super high contrast levels needed to attract people to buy your set? Well, if SVM adds false edging to the image ... then at high contrast levels when the real edges are "gone" the use of false edges makes a lot of sense.
SVM is aimed at J6P and the Showroom floor.
If the TV does not have it ... and high contrast levels are still needed ... you will not sell many TV sets. The competitor with SVM will drive your TV sales into the ground.
I hope that makes sense ...
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Good question as I've been wondering about this myself.
Good answer. For J6P.
Now let me ask another question. How hard is it to include a function to disable SVM? If J6P accidentally turns it off, there's always that nifty reset button to reset the set to full showroom display mode.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Good day, eh, for those that would like to see Strange Brew released on dvd, please click here, and add your name, eh.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Michael, well, I guess it makes sense, short term and saleswise.
But like I asked, and like Paul asks, why don't more manufacturers include an easy way to completely disable SVM? They could still have it turned on on the showroom floor, and I doubt the "J6P" who appreciates it are going to fiddle much with the default factory settings anyway.
Are the TV manufacturers really that contemptuous towards the consumers?
/Mike

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Toshiba/Sony/Pioneer all have user level SVM controls
Mitsubishi/Panasonic ... No user level.
There are many more J6P's out there than us. We may be vocal, but we are much smaller in the grand scheme of things than we think we are.
frown.gif

------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Any ideas about whether Mits and Panny are planning on making the SVM user adjustable? It would seem like a good idea.
/Mike

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Mikes: From following the thread on the new Pansonic 47W49, it looks like SVM adjustment isn't even available in the service menu. There might be a further level of menus, but it seems to be a very closely guarded secret.
I would agree with Michael TLV, we may be vocal, but we are small. In fact, I find that even on showroom floors, the factory settings do not do justice to most sets. In fact, the HD sets that I've looked at recently, the lower counter parts look far better. That makes it so much harder for the 'salesman' to sell.
Looks like Tosh/Sony/Pioneer will stay top on my list.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Good day, eh, for those that would like to see Strange Brew released on dvd, please click here, and add your name, eh.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I understand why manufacturers put many controls out of the end-users hands. It can really screw up the set, and require factory calls and technicians to fix.
However, a simple SVM on/off switch I think should be out there for all to use. For the J6P they won't know what the hell it is, but whether it's on or off it won't be of any real concern to them. It certainly won't mess up the set like Hor. Pos/Size, Geometry, Cuts & Drivers will. They should be put on all advanced (not service menu, but the "advanced" one that's attainable with most sets) menus.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Same goes for pegged contrast levels in "Normal" mode, unbalanced color levels and blue-bluer-bluest grayscales. That's what catches the eyes of the masses.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

CraigM

Auditioning
The older Mits, 1999 and 2000, models did not have SVM and in the 2001 units it can be disabled or adjusted via the service menu. The verdict is still out on the 2002 units.
------------------
Craig M

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
The new Toshiba 20AF41 I bought has SVM listed as a feature and there is no user level control to toggle it on/off. Since I can't track down a service manual for this set, I do not know if there is a service menu toggle. I suspect that the entire new line of flat tubes from Toshiba will include this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks