What's new

Why Do DVD Players Have Such Bad Remotes? (1 Viewer)

JasonWW

Agent
I just bought my firsy DVD player, Toshiba 4800, and I can't believe how bad the remote is. Why can't they have a big button in the middle for play with buttons flanking it for REW and FOR? I looked at some other brands remotes and their the same basic design. Lots of small similar buttons located all over the place. Is this some kind of conspiracy? How do you people stand it? I'm about ready to snap it in half!

Are there any aftermarket remotes that are better designed and can still operate all the features?

Chip E

Screenwriter
The best remote i own is the one for my Sony S9000ES dvd player (and i have a drawer full of 'em). Nice big buttons where they count... jog wheel design for slow to faster searching.

Dan Galyen

Agent
I imagine most companies don't care anymore. There are so many universal options out there that each time I get a new player or something the first thing that happens is I program my Sony punchpad and throw the other in a drawer with my other six remotes.

JasonWW

Agent
Chip E, I see what you mean. That looks like a much better remote. How can a person get it by itself? Or are there good aftermarket remotes? Any recommendations?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Or are there good aftermarket remotes? Any recommendations?
Home Theater Master MX-500. Or, for a low-priced alternative, One for All 8811.

I never care what the remote that comes with a component is like because I don't use it longer than a day anyway. I program it to my MX-700 and after that, it goes in the drawer with the rest of them.

Real Name
Jonathan W
I've got an MX-500, it's a fantastic remote which controls all my A/V components and lighting. After all, I'd rather the component manufacturers save some cost on the remote and have better price on the products.

JW

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The Sony VL series are perfect. I have one (the 1000, I think), with total learning capability, a joystick, and a thin, comfortable design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks