Why Do DVD Players Have Such Bad Remotes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWW, Aug 8, 2002.

1. JasonWW

JasonWW Agent

I just bought my firsy DVD player, Toshiba 4800, and I can't believe how bad the remote is. Why can't they have a big button in the middle for play with buttons flanking it for REW and FOR? I looked at some other brands remotes and their the same basic design. Lots of small similar buttons located all over the place. Is this some kind of conspiracy? How do you people stand it? I'm about ready to snap it in half!

Are there any aftermarket remotes that are better designed and can still operate all the features?

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Sony and Onkyo both have pretty good remotes.

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The best remote i own is the one for my Sony S9000ES dvd player (and i have a drawer full of 'em). Nice big buttons where they count... jog wheel design for slow to faster searching.

4. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

I imagine most companies don't care anymore. There are so many universal options out there that each time I get a new player or something the first thing that happens is I program my Sony punchpad and throw the other in a drawer with my other six remotes.

5. JasonWW

JasonWW Agent

Chip E, I see what you mean. That looks like a much better remote. How can a person get it by itself? Or are there good aftermarket remotes? Any recommendations?

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

7. Jonathan Wong

Jonathan W
    I've got an MX-500, it's a fantastic remote which controls all my A/V components and lighting. After all, I'd rather the component manufacturers save some cost on the remote and have better price on the products.

JW

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Sony VL series are perfect. I have one (the 1000, I think), with total learning capability, a joystick, and a thin, comfortable design.