Why can't I hear dts through my tv speakers with panny rp-56

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Mar 19, 2003.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I never really noticed until tonight while watching stargate ultimate edition, but I selected dts-es, and decided to just use the tv speakers instead of the reciever. Well no sound is what I got. If I switched to dolby digital 5.1 or 2.0, I could get sound to the tv. My dvd player does decode dts, and is turned on. I can get the dts-es through the reciever fine.
    I was just curious why dolby digital would work through the tv rca' but not dts? I have a panasonic rp-56.

John

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If you're not running the signal thru a DTS decoder do not repeat do not try to listen to a DTS signal. I've heard that doing so can damage your speakers.

3. JohnTKline

Shouldn't the player do the dts decoding and downmix it to the tv speakers? I don't have any problem with dolby formats from the tv speakers. Is this something only dts related?
    If I use my reciever everything is normal. I just want to be sure it's not something wrong with the player itself.

John

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

DTS does not downmix. Dolby does because it is the standard and must be adaptable to all speaker setups and TV types. Since DTS is not the standard, it does not need to be designed to downmix, and hence, it doesn't.

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The real question is why are you trying to listen to DTS thru TV speakers if you have a receiver?

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

That's correct. DTS does not down mix in-player unless the player itself has a built-in DTS decoder. Many do not.

Due to DVD Forum rules, Dolby Digital had to be able to downmix to 2 channel within all players by converting it to PCM stereo and then run through the internal audio DACs in order to be output through the analog left/right RCA plugs. That's why many DD 5.1 tracks have dumbed down bass unless the disc has a provisional DD 2.0 track along side the 5.1 track.

Dan

7. JohnTKline

Then panasonic rp-56 has a dts decoder. It just threw me off because I was watching dts-es on the reciever and about half-way through the movie the baby fell asleep so I turned off the reciever hoping to listen to the rest through the tv like I usually do with any dolby format. I wasn't sure what to think, so I stopped the movie and restarted in dolby at my last chapter.
    So if the rp-56 has the dts decoder, are you still saying that no sound will come out of the rca stereo ouputs if it's going to the tv? As opposed to the optical out to the reciever?

John

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. JohnTKline