What's new

Why can’t I be satisfied? Keep Def Tech or trade for Polk? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t know what to call it, other than an obsession. Anyway, I finally bought the Def Tech SM350’s after months of research. I really like there compact size and clarity. However, I don’t like there cost. I still have one week where I can return them no questions asked. I am running them without the center channel, I was waiting for my Def Tech dealers speaker sale coming up in June to buy the center and better sub.

Here’s my dilemma. Circuit City is running the Polk RT25I’s for $200 a pair (very similar size to the SM350). The Def Techs were on sale for $460. CC also has the CS245I center for $200. That means I could get the front sound stage for less than the cost of the Def Techs. I am using my 8” Aiwa sub and surrounds so I will upgrade those later. I actually ordered the HTD Level 1’s to try as surrounds, they will be here today. Yes, I am being cheap. A 6 and a 9 year old to put through college and the 9 year old says she wants to be a doctor. J.

My question: Should I even bother going to listen to the Polk’s this weekend, or should I just be happy with what I have? It certainly will be cheaper ($500-$800) in the long run to get the Polks.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
the thing with this obsession is that if you ever feel like you're settleing for something chances are you'll end up upgrading it anyway. IMO if you like the sound of the D.T's keep them and be happy...I'd be willing to bet if you bought the polks for reasons other the you liked their sound you'd sell them in a few months anyway. That said obviously if you really enjoy their sound more then the DT's then thats a different story but don't try and convince yourself you like them better if you don't.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
You won't know for sure until you go out and listen to the Polks. After which, if you like the Def Techs better then stay with them even if they cost more. No, it's not an obsession, it's part of the joy of this hobby. It boils down to if you don't go out and give them a listen you'll never know and be wondering if you made the right decision. Andrew stated, "...if you bought the Polks for reasons other than you liked their sound...". He's right, IMO why the hell would anybody buy speakers other than they liked the way they sounded.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Lowell,

I'm just starting to build my HT and a total newbie at all this. But I do agree with Andrew about settling. If it was me, I'd probably give the Polks a good listen and try to judge the two by sound alone keeping in mind that if you choose money over preferred sound, you'd most likely end up upgrading anyway sooner rather than later...and wind up spending as much if not more in the process.

For myself, I purchased the Polk R40's just this week and was pretty happy with them for 3 days (so far only hooked up to my reciever) until I heard a friends 600i's yesterday. I basically chose the R40's because they were $140 less than the 600i's, and figured the difference in price would be enough to keep me happy with the R40's. Turns out it's not, and I'm on my way to return the them and splurge the extra $$ for a sound that pleases me more.

It's a bit more than I intended to spend, but they'll keep me happy for a good couple of years where the R40's couldn't. By the way, Crutchfield has the 245i for $149 as we speak.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Lowell,

I wouldn't rush into things with speakers that you may have to live with for awhile. Spend the extra money and get what you really like. I suggest you try to audition as many as .

You may want to check out something like B&W 601-S3 and Dynaudio Audience42 in the $4-500 range. But I think the DefTechs are pretty good for HT, at least the larger models anyway.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to keep my Def Techs. I listened to both the RT25 and 35. They sound good, but not detailed like the SM350's. I like the clean natural sound out of the 3-way speaker. Thanks for all the inputs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Lowell,
Since you've decided to keep the Def Techs, you'll have to remember that as they break in, like any speaker, they should sound even better. The Polks that you listened to at CC were probably already broken in and sound about as good as they're going to get. Your Def Techs, on the other hand, will only get better with age.;) ;)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
That's exactly what I was thinking Wayne. I came straight home and put on the same music and I like the Def Tech's better, and that was only with about 10 hours on them. I also set them to large yesterday to force more base frequency to them. I don't know if that will help them break in better or not.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Yes, run them full range. The additional low frequencies will help loosen up the bass/midrange driver's suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks