What's new

Whoa. The New Powerbook (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I cannot believe this thing. The first 17" 16:10 portable on the market. But the screen is just part of the story:

Standard:

Firewire
Firewire 800
Airport 802.11g (54Mbps)
Bluetooth
DVD Burner
GeForce 4 64MB
Fiber Optic Backlit keyboard

1" thin
6.8 lbs

Must have one now.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I so want one of these new PBs. They look amazing. I'm going to have to get over the Apple store to see one in person ASAP.

Apple's new browser, Safari, rocks. I'm using it right now.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Actually, the 12" Powerbook is the more incredible one, in my opionion. All that goodness in one small package. Mmmm.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually, the 12" Powerbook is the more incredible one, in my opionion. All that goodness in one small package. Mmmm.
I agree. I was just talking to a co-worker this morning who was lamenting whether to buy a high-end iBook or the entry level PowerBook. He wanted the smaller laptop, but really was desiring a machine equipped with a G4 processor. Within two hours, his problem was solved! :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
the 12" model lacks Firewire 800, has a inferior video chipset (32MB), an optional 802.11g card and Superdrive. And no baclit keyboard. No comparison! :)
I have the 15" Titanium now and I could never go to a 12" screen.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Does it bother anyone that they are using 802.11g when the standard hasn't even been approved yet? Its based on IEEE 802.11g draft specification. So what happens when the spec is official? There are other companies that are doing this also, reminds me of the early days of 56k modems.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow very, very nice...
Im thinking of gettin none of those new iBooks (the shiney white ones, so pretty :D) when i go to university. Boy those powerbooks are sure nice.. but hella-expensive! :eek:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I'm trying to figure out how to dload that movie to my HD & Apple wants to make it hard for some reason. Any tips? :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The Airport cards can have their firmware upgraded, so if the current 802.11g spec changes on it's way to being finalized, it'd be trivial to release a softwawre update for the cards.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Nick that link doesn't do anything. I already saw it in the source code but with the movie name on the end.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The Airport cards can have their firmware upgraded
Cool...didn't realize you could flash the aiport cards. Hopefully their won't be too many changes to the spec before its finalized that would not technically allow flashing the airport cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks