Who owns the Moody Blues catalog?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Feb 24, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

On my double-disc "This Is The Moody Blues" greatest hits set all I can find is "1974 Threshold Records Limited". Doesn't a company called Deram own their stuff?

This is music I would buy in 5.1 surround OR high resolution stereo. Such cool, introspective music! (I've heard rumors that Warner is thinking of issuing 192kHz stereo-only dvd-audios. And maybe then they could get rid of those damn on-screen menus. [​IMG])

Anybody else here like the Pretenders or Coldplay? I've been paying attention more closely to who makes what these days: the Pretenders are Warner people and Coldplay is an EMI group (but why is Capitol's name on the back also?). "Learning to Crawl" is an awesome album and before my TT broke, it sounded great too. "Parachutes" by Coldplay is another new group i like, but worry about their overexposure & hope their musical intentions don't get diluted because of this.

Anyway, Pretenders in surround? Not so sure. This is one of those groups I've mentioned with that "straight foward" sound where surround might detract from the energy of the music. Coldplay's dreamy and kind of lonely attitude I think would be good for the "lite" surround treatment--just gentle rear effects w/ambience or backing vocals.

Any thoughts?

LJ

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I believe Threshold Records belongs to the Moody Blues themselves, although as far as I can remember, their music has always been associated with Polygram Records. Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Days of Future Passed and Seventh Sojourn are availalbe as DTS CDs- not high res, but it is surround sound.

NP: King Crimson Collector's Club #7- ProjecKt 4, live in San Francisco

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

There are plans in the works to release the Moodies catalog in Hi-Rez 5.1 in the future. Also a good chance it will be SACD.[​IMG]

5. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

John, Where did you hear that and do you know when?

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

A friend in the Music Biz told me that this a project they would like to tackle.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

"On my double-disc "This Is The Moody Blues" greatest hits set all I can find is "1974 Threshold Records Limited". Doesn't a company called Deram own their stuff?"

The Moody Blues were under Decca for, at least the early part of their career. Deram was the progressive label of Decca. Eventually, they founded Threshold in 1969 as their own label but, it was still under Decca. I am not so sure how they came to be under Polygram