What's new

Who owns Tales From the Crypt ('72) and Vault of Horror? Planned releases in 2002? (2 Viewers)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I was just wondering who owned the DVD rights to these two titles. I know Fox released Tales from the Crypt on VHS a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if they still have the rights. No one has released it's sequel, The Vault of Horror on VHS in a long time.
These are two very overlooked horror anthologies that should recieve great DVD releases. Does anybody know who owns the rights to these movies and if there are plans to release them next year? They'd make a great 2-pack, if you ask me. :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Is Tales from the Crypt the one with:
A. the serial killer at Christmas time?
B. "The Monkey's Paw"?
C. The old folks home at the end, with Patrick Magee?
If so, I'd buy that one. A creepy film!

M

MaxY

Tales From The Crypt was an HBO Series and there is one DVD out there with 3 EPs on it.
I got mine a while back but I have noticed that in two Different Best Buys they have loaded up on copies of it.
The Eps on the DVD are very good ones. It has the one With Kirk Douglas and Dan Aykroid during wartime called yellow, whic is really one of the better shows.
It also had one Isabella Rosselini and John Lithgow called You Murderer, which is pretty good as well.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Max: Wes is referring to the theatrically released 1972 horror anthology, not the HBO series of the same name. Vault of Horror was released the following year.
I've also been waiting for these two movies to hit DVD. I was talking about the original Tales of the Crypt with one of my old roommates the other day, in fact...
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd love to see a Tales from the Crypt dvd. Is Vault of Horror as good? I've never seen it.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Yes, I'm talking about the horror anthology film. :)
I've seen a lot of good anthology films (Creepshow, Dr. Terror's House of Horror) and I've seen a lot of halfway decent ones (The Willies, Tales From the Darkside: The Movie) and nothing...I mean NOTHING beats the original Tales From the Crypt. Ever since I saw it late one night on TBS, I've loved it. I tracked down a used VHS copy about 3 years ago when it was still out of print and paid 30 bucks for it (i know, I know). But it was still worth it, because this is simply the greatest anthology film ever. All the stories are great (probably the best ever to come out of EC Comics), the cast is great (Peter Cushing, Patrick Magee, Joan Collins), and it is extremely well directed by Freddie Francis.
I highly recommend any of you who haven't seen it to check it out. The "And All Through the House" segment that opens the film is 100000000 times better than the Robert Zemeckis-directed HBO version for the TV series. This one was actually SCARY!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I caught Vault of Horror on HBO late one night several years after I'd seen Tales From the Crypt. It's decent, but the stories they chose just weren't that great. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I'd still buy it in an instant if and when someone releases it on DVD. It was pretty good, but just not as good as Tales. :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on October 04, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I would love to see both the TV series released in seasons and The movies released on DVD.
Wes put it nicley, One of in not the best anthology movies out there. I hope to see them on DVD someday.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see all the Amicus anthologies on DVD. My favorite is Tales from the Crypt, but others that I'm anxious to see is on DVD are The House That Dripped Blood, Torture Garden and the already mentioned Vault of Horror & Dr Terror's House of Horrors.
Columbia owns Torture Garden and Republic owns Dr Terror's House of Horrors. I'm not sure who owns the other three. None of these are on laser although Torture Garden was announced at one time as coming on laser.
Asylum, is the only Amicus anthology on DVD, and the film is one of their better efforts. If you like these type of anthology films, I recommend picking up this DVD.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I think I saw this on AMC last night. Is it the one where the woman wishes her husband back to life?
Very creepy.

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
All of the above metioned titles wouild be great on DVD. I know Fox put "Tales of the Crypt" out on video about two years ago (I just checked the video tape and the lable has a date of 1998 so it wasn't to long ago) so maybe they still have the rights to it.
I saw this move in Jr High. School. I guess my school principal was a horror buff because he wanted to show us "The Legend of Hell House" (which I had already seen by that time as I was a horror buff too) but he couldn't because some parents were concerned about showing any move with the word "Hell" in the title to their kids (which is ironic because there is worse stuff to be seen in "Tales from the Crypt" than in "Hell House").

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Russ,
Your principal showed you horror movies in junior high? Man, what kind of school did you go to? Where I went to school, all anyone would have had to do was suggest such a thing and there would have been a lynch mob would have formed to hang the poor man!
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I'd love to see all of the above mentioned films on DVD, especially THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD. I haven't seen it in more than 15 years but I still get the creeps thinking about the segment with Denholm Elliott.
eek.gif

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Scott, yes, Tales From the Crypt is the anthology in which during one of the stories, a woman wishes her husband back to life (inspired by "The Monkey's Paw", I'm sure).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks