What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (5 Viewers)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Thanks Mr Harris, but I would like to see a new 70mm print from your wonderful 1989 restoration, if its from the digineg you might as well project from the 4K DCP.

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
For what it is worth, LOA is showing in 4k at the AFI Silver Spring in Maryland starting next week. Is saw the 4k presentation at The Castro a few years back and it is gorgeous.

More info: h**ps://silver.afi.com/Browsing/Movies/Details/m-0100000016

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
if its from the digineg you might as well project from the 4K DCP.

I think these things have the potential to look better when printed back to film. I saw Sony's 4K restoration of Dr. Strangelove as a 4K DCP, and then a year later saw a new 35mm print made from the same 4K restoration, and I liked the look and feel of the 35mm print better.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I was watching more of the 4K stream of "LAWRENCE" today, on Amazon Prime, and I was reminded again of a scene that I thought was too dark and meant to bring it up here before. That is the night scene between Lawrence and Ali prior to Lawrence going back for Gasim. You have to struggle to see their faces that I thought I clearly remember seeing more of in 70mm prints. I double checked with the black level on my monitor and a few steps lower it is further plugged up and adjustment in the other direction the image become flat and milky, there is no range that I can normally get on other content. Is this to do with negative fading where, to compensate, black is generated and shadow detail sacrificed?

Also I hope Sony rectify the audio on the eventual 4K release, that I previously brought up, that it most noticeable with the camel hooves on Ali's entrance, that still bugs the hell out of me.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think these things have the potential to look better when printed back to film. I saw Sony's 4K restoration of Dr. Strangelove as a 4K DCP, and then a year later saw a new 35mm print made from the same 4K restoration, and I liked the look and feel of the 35mm print better.

Film has a certain look to it that can suffer a lot with low contrast 2k DLP projectors. I thinkt that with a state if the art projector of the latest generation you might be more impressed even though you may still prefer film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd certainly be up for giving it a try if someone with a state of the art 4K projector wants to screen either movie for me! :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Attended an IMAX screening last night of Dunkirk, which is a masterful achievement

Not only very Lean-like, but gave a tip of the hat to DL, via a Boltie, toward the end of the film.

Must be seen large screen!

Find the Boltie!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Film or digital? I was intending to see it at the 70mm IMAX in my area.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Attended an IMAX screening last night of Dunkirk, which is a masterful achievement

Not only very Lean-like, but gave a tip of the hat to DL, via a Boltie, toward the end of the film.

Must be seen large screen!

Find the Boltie!

Couldn't agree more. The 70 mm IMAX presentation is incredibly immersive and it's a great film. I was planning to drive three and a half hours for the opportunity to see it projected via IMAX film. In the end, I did drive, but I also got to combine it with a paid gig in the area. Made it a more economical experience than my trip to see Interstellar. :)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I am currently on holiday in Kenya and I met up with my old Uncle, who I haven't seen for many years. He told me that my father and he made a expedition to Lake Turkana in the desert region in the north of Kenya in 1966 or 1967. They stayed at quite a primitive hotel - which more resembled a shack - in Ferguson's Gulf. Who did they meet in the bar practically all on his own, but David Lean! My uncle said that my father was completely ignorant of who David Lean was and had never seen any of his masterworks - probably not really all that surprising, as my father farmed out in the bush, far away from any civilization and cinemas! The great director was overjoyed that my father and uncle had brought two crates of Tusker beer with them, as the hotel had almost nothing to drink. David Lean told my uncle (who absolutely knew who he was) that he loved the desert in Kenya and that it reminded him of Jordan, while filming Lawrence Of Arabia. He said saw all the magnificent desert vistas, as though he was looking through a viewfinder.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw Dunkirk in 70mm at the Odeon L Square in London and it looked and sounded fantastic. Also before they showed a 70mm trailer
for Murder on the Orient Express which was also 2.20 but was a digital out and you could tell.

Also the old Compton Organ was played before which sounded great.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am currently on holiday in Kenya and I met up with my old Uncle, who I haven't seen for many years. He told me that my father and he made a expedition to Lake Turkana in the desert region in the north of Kenya in 1966 or 1967. They stayed at quite a primitive hotel - which more resembled a shack - in Ferguson's Gulf. Who did they meet in the bar practically all on his own, but David Lean! My uncle said that my father was completely ignorant of who David Lean was and had never seen any of his masterworks - probably not really all that surprising, as my father farmed out in the bush, far away from any civilization and cinemas! The great director was overjoyed that my father and uncle had brought two crates of Tusker beer with them, as the hotel had almost nothing to drink. David Lean told my uncle (who absolutely knew who he was) that he loved the desert in Kenya and that it reminded him of Jordan, while filming Lawrence Of Arabia. He said saw all the magnificent desert vistas, as though he was looking through a viewfinder.

Sounds dead on!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks