What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

amirm

Insider
Real Name
Amir Majidimehr
Dennis Maricic said:
Do you see more HD music being released in the future? So far it's been trickling out at a very slow pace.
Is the industry even motivated to give us high fidelity?. ;)
The simple answer is that they no longer care. You can set up your own shop tomorrow and distribute music however you like as long as you cough up the up front royalty guarantee. They book that revenue and move on to the next guy who wants to do the same.
This is actually great because the content is going out without the loudness compression which the label/talent subject the master to prior to release to CD/iTunes/MP3, etc. So even if you don't see value in higher sample rate or bit depth, you get significant audible benefit.
Answering the other comment, yes, content does get out which is upsampled CD. Often this comes from CD/SACD releases which were the same way. For a few thousand dollars one can write a tool that can catch all of this automatically but folks have not done that. Instead, they rely on complains and sample checks.

Craig W

Second Unit
My final word on Nickerson and this has nothing to do with him personally. I am not attacking him. The fact is he was in a position of power at WHV and he had ties to Toshiba as a former employee. The fact is that Warner's initial support of BD did not start at the WHV level. They were told by the corporate leaders they would support both. Again Warner held back key titles from BD in the early days and they spent money to develop content for features that BD did not yet support and then heavily touted that additional content. Nickerson was a big part of that regime. Where there's smoke... There's fire.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
Why would someone need to view these films in their homes early?
Why not just wait 60 days?
Do they have screens 30+ feet wide, or is there no longer a concern for what we call the "theatrical experience?"
RAH
Yes and no.
The big problem is best summed up by the phrase 'chavs on mobiles'. You may not know what the means, but I bet you can guess.
I'll tell you a story. Way back in the early '90s I was going to university in London, and the NFT were showing Dead Poets Society. Now this is the NFT. Not a local flea pit, or a multiplex, it's the UK's premiere high brow cinema.
You know the scene at the end 'with the desks'? Someone started laughing.
I long for a real cinema experience, which means (among other things) no 'chavs on mobiles', but if I can't be guaranteed that at the NFT, then I can't be guaranteed it anywhere.
Steve W

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Craig W /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/930#post_3932229
My final word on Nickerson ...................

Given my earlier remark, I'll take that as a promise.

Cees

Craig W

Second Unit
Amir
I admire your persistence but you and Penton-man suffer from the same complex. Your ego never allows you to fathom that you may have been wrong or made mistakes. You're infallible to the nth degree. It works in your favor as a marketing man, but as you can see it taints you also in the eyes of many. Reminds me of one of my relatives that is a lawyer. He has to argue with you until you give up or agree with him. The fact is many people speak negatively of him as pompous you know what behind his back.
You decided to come in here and take part of the Penton was a sham circus much of which involved rehashing the events of the format debacle. So don't take issue when someone else points out issues this many years later.
I just pointed out one of the more comical arguments of the battle. Again not attacking you, but I do find it a little funny that many HD DVD titles are failing because it was supposed to be simpler and less costly for the makers of it.

Craig W

Second Unit
Did anyone hear that the 3D BD of Titanic is going to be split across 2 discs? That thing is going to look amazing with that much data available for the feature. This is James Cameron we are talking about.

amirm

Insider
Real Name
Amir Majidimehr
Craig W said:
Amir
I admire your persistence but you and Penton-man suffer from the same complex. Your ego never allows you to fathom that you may have been wrong or made mistakes. You're infallible to the nth degree. It works in your favor as a marketing man, but as you can see it taints you also in the eyes of many. Reminds me of one of my relatives that is a lawyer. He has to argue with you until you give up or agree with him. The fact is many people speak negatively of him as pompous you know what behind his back.
You decided to come in here and take part of the Penton was a sham circus much of which involved rehashing the events of the format debacle. So don't take issue when someone else points out issues this many years later.
I just pointed out one of the more comical arguments of the battle. Again not attacking you, but I do find it a little funny that many HD DVD titles are failing because it was supposed to be simpler and less costly for the makers of it.
Craig, I like to discuss technical and business topics and not each other. I like to focus on the future and not the past. Your interest is the opposite it seems. You continue to make this a battle of people running off with rumors and continue the kind of mudslinging that went on in BD dot com regarding my career, that of other execs and such. . That is uncalled for and unprofessional. I keep thinking I am reading Penton's posts as I read yours. I can go toe to toe with you forever on this stuff but I won't. It is not why I joined this forum.
I will bow out of the thread now that what I feared that folks like yourself would come out of the woodwork to fight the battle all over again has happened. I apologize to the forum management for being the magnet for this. I should have known better and didn't.
Take care you all.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by amirm /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/960#post_3932261
Craig, I like to discuss technical and business topics and not each other. I like to focus on the future and not the past. Your interest is the opposite it seems. You continue to make this a battle of people running off with rumors and continue the kind of mudslinging that went on in BD dot com regarding my career, that of other execs and such. . That is uncalled for and unprofessional. I keep thinking I am reading Penton's posts as I read yours. I can go toe to toe with you forever on this stuff but I won't. It is not why I joined this forum.
I will bow out of the thread now that what I feared that folks like yourself would come out of the woodwork to fight the battle all over again has happened. I apologize to the forum management for being the magnet for this. I should have known better and didn't.
Take care you all.
We're heading toward 1,000 posts, and over 27,000 reads on this thread. As this is a thread that I started, and we have decided to allow it to drift, I'm now going to request three things.

1. I'd like to see all discussion of the format "war," and personalities end.

2. I agree with Amir that discussion should move toward the future, and request that he recant in his position to move on. I, for one, would like to see him stick around. He has a great deal to share.

3. I would appreciate that any additional posts regarding my first request, be removed by the mods.

Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

RAH

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
FoxyMulder said:
The problem i see is that they claim it's all higher fidelity music ( i assume you mean SACD or DVD Audio or the downloads equivalent of this ) BUT isn't some of it sometimes being sourced from low quality masters, it needs to start with a high quality mix and retain lossless all the way through the chain otherwise what's the point, it's a bit like taking a DVD low fidelity film master and slapping it on a blu ray disc and labelling it 1080p, i mean in my opinion a well mastered high quality sound mix on CD is going to be better than a poor quality sound mix on SACD or DVD audio, of course as we get older we lose the ability to hear higher frequencies, i think my hearing is now a lot worse these days, i can only hear up to 14Khz.
Unfortunately that is the case most of the time. But if the will is there it can be done right. A good example would be the Niel Young Archive on blu-ray. That is a very nice sounding release.
While we're on the topic, whatever happened with the Blu-ray 3.0 audio only spec?

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
amirm said:
Take care you all.
Hi Amir,
I can't speak for others, but i wish you would reconsider and continue to participate. The view being expressed is of an extreme minority. I for one want to hear your input on these topics.

sharkshark

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Gorber
Yorkshire said:
This raises the point of doubt.
There'll always be doubt - I'm not even sure about cogito argo sum anymore.
Steve W
Nor should you. It's "ergo sum", at least in early Descartes. By the time of the Meditations it's just cogito sum, negating the need for a logical tie, but simply stating, unequivocally, that to think is to be.
See? Now we get philosophy in this thread?
I'm hereby saying that this entire run is my doing. Mwahahahahahaha... #win

sharkshark

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Gorber
Dennis Maricic said:
Think this will be the problem when it comes to Episodes 1-3. It's my understanding they were shot with cameras limited to 1080p resolution.
Episode 1 was shot on 35mm, with one scene shot on the Sony camera. Eps II and III were shot using 1920x1080x24.

sharkshark

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Gorber
bt12483 said:
Yet his predictions all came true.
I don't care if Penton Man was really Penton WoMan, if he said he was American but really Russian, or if he said he had black hair but had blond hair.
The fact remains the information he distributed panned out. There is no doubt his past foreshadowing was later validated. Regardless of his supposed role at Sony or what he lead people to believe, there is no doubt his insider information was proven valid over and over again.
This is my point. The things he said well in advance of anyone else all came true.
Were you on P's thread? What's your user name over there?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by amirm /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/960#post_3932261
...I like to discuss technical and business topics and not each other. I like to focus on the future and not the past. Your interest is the opposite it seems. You continue to make this a battle of people running off with rumors and continue the kind of mudslinging that went on in BD dot com regarding my career, that of other execs and such. . That is uncalled for and unprofessional. I keep thinking I am reading Penton's posts as I read yours. I can go toe to toe with you forever on this stuff but I won't. It is not why I joined this forum.
Take care you all.
I had hoped that enough time went by that we could look at the format war as truely the past. I was enoying hearing the personal stories of some of the things that happened during that time posted in this thread, but it seems like some people can't let go yet. Amir, I don't think you were a magnet for this, all the people participating in this thread created a unique situation. Robert started this thread and has been patient enough as it has drifted all over from topic to topic so we will respect his wishes to exclude discussion of events prior to the end of the format war from this thread going forward. Members who can't follow that will be kept from participating in this thread.

Having said that I second Dennis comments and welcome your insight on the 3422 other topics in this thread Amir

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Yorkshire said:
Way back in the early '90s I was going to university in London, and the NFT were showing Dead Poets Society. Now this is the NFT. Not a local flea pit, or a multiplex, it's the UK's premiere high brow cinema.
I can't really blame them.

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
FoxyMulder said:
Then there are the screaming kids, the rustling popcorn x 10, people talking behind or in front of you or people continually standing up to go out and buy more drinks or visit the bathroom, sometimes the exit sign is illuminating onto a part of the screen ( I'll never go to that cinema again ) and then there are the cough cough sniffle sniffle folks, the theatrical experience is sometimes not so good.
You forgot all the teens texting or playing angry birds on their bright blue screen smartphones in front of you.;)

Craig W

Second Unit
With Jaws, the original Indy films, ET and Lawrence of Arabia coming before the end of the year most likely are there any high demand catalog titles left? Is this the final catalog hurrah?

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
Yorkshire said:
Yes and no.
The big problem is best summed up by the phrase 'chavs on mobiles'. You may not know what the means, but I bet you can guess.
I'll tell you a story. Way back in the early '90s I was going to university in London, and the NFT were showing Dead Poets Society. Now this is the NFT. Not a local flea pit, or a multiplex, it's the UK's premiere high brow cinema.
I long for a real cinema experience, which means (among other things) no 'chavs on mobiles', but if I can't be guaranteed that at the NFT, then I can't be guaranteed it anywhere.
Steve W
Ah the great unwashed youth culture exists on both sides of the Atlantic.
Do you have to hear all the times hip hop ring tones at volumes that can be heard 100 m away?

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Kosty said:
You forgot all the teens texting or playing angry birds on their bright blue screen smartphones in front of you.;)
It's not just teens who engage in this behaviour.
Went to see the new release of Raiders of the Lost Ark at the TIFF Lightbox. Looked great by the way.
Right in the middle of the movie this person, I'd say in his 40s or 50s, starts going through his emails.
:jawdrop:
SharkShark had some choice words with this particular individual. :laugh:

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Craig W said:
With Jaws, the original Indy films, ET and Lawrence of Arabia coming before the end of the year most likely are there any high demand catalog titles left? Is this the final catalog hurrah?
Until we have a quality presentation of the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy, it will never be over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks