What's new

Which of these two ways should I wire my SVS PCi 20-39 (1 Viewer)

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I received the sub on Friday, and the rest of my setup should be here tomorrow and I really want to start setting things up. I've decided to run the wires in my wall, across the ceiling, and back down the other side, and put connection boxes on both sides so I can directly plug into. The total distance needed between connection boxes is 41 feet.

I went to Home Depot and bought what I would need to do it either of these two ways.

Option A: 6 foot RCA from receiver to box, 25 foot RCA from box to coupler, 25 foot RCA from coupler to box, 12 foot RCA from box to sub. The 12' and the 6' RCA cables I have are Accustic research and are pretty nice, but the two 25 footers are kind of cheap and thin.

Option B: 6 foot RCA from receiver to box, 3 foot RCA to F-Type Connector adapter, 50 feet of RG6 cable, F-Type adapter to 3 foot RCA cable to the box, then 12 foot RCA to the Sub.

I bought the gold plated snap in's for the wall mount so everything will be nice and pretty, but do you think this many connections will hurt the performance of the signal? I was leaning toward option A as it would be easier, but maybe find some better 25 foot RCA's.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Scott,

I assume you're trying to get line-level signals to your sub? It's self powered?

That number of connections scares me, but that's only in principle--I've never actually tried it out.

My best thought is to go with a variation on Option B:

6 foot RCA from receiver to box, 50 feet of RG6 cable with RCA ends to box, then 12 foot RCA to the Sub.

You could either whip up the RG6 cable yourself or possibly get one of the inexpensive cable makers to do it for you (www.bluejeanscable.com Link Removed www.boldercables.com etc.). There are lots of threads around here on how to make component video cables--just do a search and you'll find all the info you need. You might find similiar info by searching for "sub cable RG6"

That first and last cable (6 foot and 12 foot) could also be RG6 with RCA ends. . . Just food for thought.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
That looks like a much better solution. I ordered a 45 foot Single component cable from BlueJeansCable. It was $34 shipped. If I did the RG6 with the adapters and such it would have cost me about the same, a little cheaper with the coupled RCA cables, but cheaper is not always better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks