What's new

which is better: a digital photo of a movie still off a computer or TV screen? (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
ChristopherDAC,

Finally went through the whole VLC business and got it to work. Thanks.

Vince,

When I get around to having some freetime to do something like what you wanted, I know where to find you :). Currently, my schedule won't allow me to take on such a big painting project. I like to at least spend 30-40 hours of work time to do it right on something that big. Hope some starving artist can help out in the meantime. Chazz, are you starving ;)

Chazz,

Keep me posted on your LOTR art. Aragorn is such a difficult guy to draw. He looks different all the time. One moment you see his eyebrows, the next it's gone :D. The guy has such an inconsistant face throughout the movie.

Thanks for all the help and input.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The Mac should present the same issue as the PC where the "Screen Capture" method won't capture the image since (according to what I've read), the DVD image technically doesn't get processed through your VGA card.

I forget the exact explanation, but the DVD video gets shown directly to the screen and doesn't go through any sort of "processing" where the computer is able to capture it.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Does it matter if you capture it from a widescreen image or a full screen image as far as quality is concerned?

What I captured looks pretty good with Sleepy Beauty and I have photoshop to mess with it if necessary. I can't believe I wasted all that money buying books with images I want to paint. Sometimes I would just buy a magazine or a book just for 1 or 2 images that I can't find on the internet. With this option, I can do better work. Gesh!

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Cheers Dustin, here's some more recent lotr stuff I've done:

Frodo

Witch King

Didn't really utilize screencaps at all for Frodo but I did for the WK piece. And you're right, Viggo can be difficult to draw. His look can change from scene to scene, and certainly changes dramatically throughout the trilogy!

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Awesome Chazz!

I just admire artist who can capture likeness in color.

Those are the best acrylic/water color of LOTR stuff I've seen. I've done some like the one above (grouche/acrylic) but I'm new to the this area and still improving. My expertise is in fantasy and wildlife. Time to move on :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks