What's new

Which DVD player has the best MPEG decoder for $1000 or less? (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I'm purchasing the upcoming HD Leeza digital scaler for use with my projector (currently a Hitachi 5500). This scaler has an SDI input, and comes packaged with a Panny RP62 modified with an SDI output. If you know anything about SDI mods, the last step before the digital signal is passed to the scaler is the MPEG decoding process. Therefore, the quality of the decoder can have a great impact on the final image quality. From what I've been reading here, the MPEG decoder on the RP62 isn't so hot, and I don't see the point in spending all that money on the scaler if the DVD player's output is sub-par.
What player out there offers the best MPEG decoder under $1000? DVD-Audio would be a nice option since that would let me get rid of my current player (SD-9200) and just have one in my rack.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that the RP82 has a better mpg decoder than the 62. I'm still waiting to hear from other users though. I've got a similar question posted about the differences between the 56 and the 82.

I've also heard that the 62 is better than the 56 ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks