What's new

Which do you prefer, bare speaker wire or banana plugs? (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Just a curious question, but what do people here use to interconnect their speakers with their amps/receivers? Currently I'm using bare speaker wire connected to the 5 way binding post on my receiver, but am wondering if there is any benifit in using banana plugs instead.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Banana plugs. I do lots of experimenting, plugging and
unplugging and it's just much easier with banana plugs.
Soundwise, provided the connection is secure (and you'd
be amazed at how many poor banana jacks can be found on
good amps, the sound is identical.
But I know I'm going to audiophile Hell for not using
spades. :)

ling_w

Second Unit
Bare wire will oxidize right off the package. Bananas will not form a tight bond, but I do have a few of them since my speakers only takes banans and bare wires with its pressure connector. I use the Audioquest BFA silver banans, which expands on the whole length of the plug. Plus I have some old monster banans on old cables.

On the amp end, they are all spades. Have to wrench them down tight to form a cold weld. More easily done with coppoer spades than brass ones.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I use banana's for most of my speakers except my surrounds which are spades. I hear spades are better but one thing with Pioneer receivers is they don't except spades. I definitely wouldn't use bare wire as before mentioned the oxidize especially when the oil from your hands gets on the wire. Another thing to worry about with bare wire is that if you ever bi-amp your speakers with bare wire you must make sure that none of the wires from one terminal come in contact with any other wires from one of the other terminals you could severely damage your amp if any of the wires come in contact with one another, so watch out for any stray wires in the back of your amps.

Daniel Smith

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I use Banana plugs. Only because of ease of use. Couldn't tell you if there is a difference in sound.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I use banana plugs as well but mostly because I get them for free. I don't know if they sound better or not but it sure makes it easy to plug and unplugged your speakers.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Banana plugs here they are so much easier to use then bare speaker wire or spades. I also do a lot of testing and switching and its so easy to just plug them back in or pull them out.

KyleS

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I use banana plugs as well, mostly just for convenience sake. Before I switched to plugs I would tin the bare wires with solder. That too prevents oxidation and makes it a lot easier to disconnect/re-connect things. However, I wasn't satisfied with it and decided to go with the plugs.

What do people think of tinning their wires???

- Mike

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Banana plugs for me; much easier to deal with and I don't notice any degradation/difference in sound.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i use pins because my speakers have spring clips and my receiver has some odd connection that only takes bare wire or pins. i couldn't use bare wire eitehr since 12g won't fit in either the speaker or receivers connectors.

RichardMA

Second Unit
On the amp end, they are all spades. Have to wrench them down tight to form a cold weld. More easily done with coppoer spades than brass ones.
Couple things crop up in connecting to amps or speakers.
1. If they use a plastic hex nut for the terminal with a metal insert, if you try to torque them, they will break so a cold weld joint is out of the question.
The spade must have flat surfaces otherwise the contact
points are small and the connection is weak. Cheap, punched
out spades are pretty bad in this regard (they aren't flat.)
The best banana plugs i've used (for speed and a sure
connection) had a threaded gold plated nut that screwed into
the back of the jack. Underneith the cylindrical hollow
nut is a solid slug that provides the pressure on the wire
to hold it in place. The wire is inserted in a hole in the side of the body. The pressure nut is also bored through so you can piggyback the connectors for bi-wiring, etc.
You can change wires in a few seconds with this system.
These things cost about $2 to $5 each, depending on the
seller.
You can see a picture of one at:
Link Removed

Rodon

Second Unit
Well this is my first post on this forum. Hello everyone.
I could not see the picture in the link bove so I made one as well:
http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...=134477&page=7
It is a picture of a few of my HT connectors.
My Banana connectors are actually Stinger mono connectors model number SMBAN. They are pretty easy to get from Darvex and work real well on my home audio as well.
I run Stinger in my Jeep so that is how I knew about them. I do like that blank inside the banana - You can get real good pressure on the wire and the SMBAN also accepts up to 8ga wire wich is real nice.
You can also input a second banana connector into the rear. Useful in my car audio application.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to make the move to banana plugs based on the views posted in this thread about their ease of use and quality in comparison to bare wire.

Any recomendations for exact models? My local retailer carries Monster Cable so any specific Monster connectors?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In my setup, I could not hear a difference between the two, so I choose to go with bananas for convenience.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I prefer banana plugs and use them with all of my speakers. For one thing, banana plugs are very convenient. Secondly, I am concerned about bare wire oxidizing, as was mentioned already. Thirdly, I always thought of the mess I could have with bare wire or spades if someone knocked a speaker over since these terminations are locked in. I couldn't deal with the idea of a speaker that was tipped pulling on the wire. That could be bad in many respects. Regarding spades, I don't like them because not all binding posts are the same size. It is possible to have speakers and a pre-amp, pre/pro, or receiver with different size binding posts. That can cause problems when buying pre-terminated speaker cables.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The wire ends will still oxidize with bananas unless you are soldering them on, and even then, there is still the potential for oxidation over time.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I use mostly banana plugs except in a few places because I didn't have any at the time of set up.
Someday I might move to spades, but for now banana's are fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks