What's new

where to find info on construction codes & regulations? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i'm going to (well, at least would like to try) some electrical work in my new home. things like putting in some additional in-ceiling lights, tying the electrical line to the existing power somewhere, possibly running some new switches, etc.

i may also be punching some holes in the wall to run conduit, etc.

so, i would like to keep everything to code if possible. things like how high to mount the junction boxes, how to tie into existing wiring (i know i need a gang box in that location), what type of wire i need (cl3, special romex), etc.

so is there a website or some reference books that someone can recommend? i live in sacramento, ca -- if that makes any difference.

thanks!

ted

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
or just go down to the city offices and talk to an inspector, tell him what you're doing and he/she'd probably be glad to help.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
It's highly likely that if you talk to the codes enforcement folks in your city, they'll require you to pay for a permit before you can start work. When it's finished they'll send an inspector out to make sure it really does meet code. Understand, I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just letting you know what to expect.

There doesn't seem to be one set of rules for the whole country. It all depends on the community you live. I would suspect that living in a large California city they'll be very strict. Good luck.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ted
I pretty much rebuilt my victorian and I believe SF has some of the strictist codes in the country.
I found this great code chart made by fine homebuilder I believe.
Flip chart type laminated made to last. Never found it to be wrong and never had an inspector even question what I did.
Worth the price even if you use a contractor .

Email if you can't find one. Since I am DONE maybe we canwork a deal

Good Luck
Grant

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Call the inspections department. They will help you out. They will probably tell you to get a permit but most municipalities will do a stand-alone type of permit that is usually fairly cheap (under $100) and does not require plans to be drawn up (just a description of the work to be done).

Also, the National Electrical Code is available at Barnes and Noble and at Amazon.com. That will tell you everything to do in detail but to find the applicable sections without knowing electrical will be pretty tough.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys. grant, i may just hit you up. i'm gonna see what's involved first..

ps, sorry it took so long for me to reply. for some reason, i haven't been auto-subscribing to threads...even though my control panel says otherwise.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
grant...that is *exactly* what i was looking for - and it's pretty cheap.

thanks bud! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks