What's new

When to use Pure or Direct Audio? (1 Viewer)

AllenLC

Agent
I have Onkyo's TX-SR800 Receiver & the Onkyo DV-SP800 DVD player.
Together with a Sientific Atlanta Digital cable box, Digitaly Coaxed and Analoged to the receiver. (the receiver auto switches to digital when available)
I am wondering when do the "Pure" or "Direct" audio modes apply?

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Pure and Driect are analog playback modes on your receiver.

Direct plays back in strait stereo in a purely analog enviroment with no digital processing that can "degrade" sound. Pure Direct goes a little beyond that. Like on my Denon 4802, pure direct suspends all video circuitry, and even the receiver's own display so there is no possible analog interfearance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
like geoff said, the whole idea is to have as clean a signal as possible. the receiver will bypass all the extraneous "junk" that can muck up the signal. that usually means no tone controls, no dsp modes, no eq, no displays, etc...

use it when you want to hear the music as "unaltered" as possible.

AllenLC

Agent
Saying "Direct goes a little beyond that", has me wondering what that is? Tell me about it. Is it too analog only?

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,

To clarify, Pure Direct is everything Direct is, but it tries to make a more "Pure" signal by disabling everything that could possibly add any analog interfearence, such as video switching, and the receivers own display. Both direct and pure direct are analog modes.

Try running a stereo source, such as a CD or radio in stereo, then direct, and then pure direct, and see what you like, and if there is any difference in them to you. To me direct and pure direct sounded a little better than stereo, but not too different from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks