When do you need a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Will-Layfield, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at some used/inexpensive amps for christmas and had a question on how to use them. I have a yamaha rx-v650 which has the ability for amps on all channels. So to use that do I need to get some type of cable that hooks the reciever to the amp then the amp to the speakers? If I am using a reciever is there a need for a pre-amp? I guess I need a quick tutorial on amps. I understand what they do, just not how to hook them up or run them and such. Thanks in advance. -Will

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

A preamp is basically all of the switching and control/processing features, an amp just takes the signal and drives the speakers. Receivers combine the functionality of a preamp and amp (plus radio tuner), so you don't need a preamp. With a preamp & amp combo, you'd connect your sources (DVD, CD, cable/sat etc.) to the preamp inputs, then its output connect to the amp, which finally connects to the speakers. If you have a receiver that has preamp outputs (look for RCA jacks on the back labeled Front L & R, Surround L & R, Center, Subwoofer etc. - separate from the speaker connections) and you want to use a separate amp, it takes the place of the preamp above. Otherwise, you can just use the receiver by itself.