What's new

Pre-Order When A Stranger Calls (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They would have been better served by just using the RCA/Columbia-era artwork on a normal-sized Blu-ray box without the VHS tape sticking out. That gives away its selectivity in its attention to detail: those kind of boxes opened from the bottom, not the sides. If it opens at the side, that means you broke it. If they can't come up with better art than the original, then they might as well just use the original. Warner Bros. used original poster art for DVD covers for years, but they didn't make it look worn and torn.

Agreed. I actually hated VHS tapes even when they were the only game in town - awful format. Whenever you taped something off of TV onto VHS, the PQ was noticeably poorer than the source material (the TV broadcast).

Except they weren't the only game in town; there was also Betamax. The trade-off of less recording time meant better overall picture quality. After Betamax died, the quality of blank VHS tapes went down. You can tell the difference between holding one made in the 1970s or 1980s and one made after that in your hands and comparing which one has more weight to it.

Get nostalgic for laserdisc if you want to get nostalgic for analog video. You couldn't record on them, but they had zero copy protection and looked about as good as a pre-HD television broadcast. That format enabled many of the features on DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD that we take for granted today. And the sound could be quite good, even excellent. That had less market penetration than Betamax yet lasted a good decade longer.

VHS unless you own a collector’s treasure like the R-rated cover for The Little Mermaid (1989) just doesn’t cut it. (and I did own that at one time long ago). I have on occasion popped in a VHS (Three Stooges or Dorf On Golf) on the 75 and the low quality by today’s standards is quite evident.

There is a valid reason to own the original video release of The Little Mermaid that has nothing to do with the box art*: it's the only way to see the film as it was originally shown in 1989. Every version since then has altered the credits in some way. They also futzed with the shot order at the end of "Part of Your World" on some of the recent discs. And then there was the minister of the wedding and his knobby knees. Now you're making me wish Disney would do something like it with their catalog releases, such as they are these days.

*The laserdisc came out by the time they "fixed" it.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
They would have been better served by just using the RCA/Columbia-era artwork on a normal-sized Blu-ray box without the VHS tape sticking out. That gives away its selectivity in its attention to detail: those kind of boxes opened from the bottom, not the sides. If it opens at the side, that means you broke it. If they can't come up with better art than the original, then they might as well just use the original. Warner Bros. used original poster art for DVD covers for years, but they didn't make it look worn and torn.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind VHS-era box artwork used as slipcover art for Blu film releases - in a standard Blu case. But, I don't want the VHS box to go with it VHS-era artowrk. It's big, ugly, and awkward - and takes up more room on my shelf.

Except they weren't the only game in town; there was also Betamax. The trade-off of less recording time meant better overall picture quality. After Betamax died, the quality of blank VHS tapes went down. You can tell the difference between holding one made in the 1970s or 1980s and one made after that in your hands and comparing which one has more weight to it.

I have very little familiarity with Betamax. I heard they were better than VHS re: PQ, but never knowingly saw one at the time. In any case, VHS unfortunately won the format war & Betamax never really caught on.

Just like Laserdiscs - the quality may have been better than standard VHS, but VHS was the preferred format & LD's never caught on, either.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What happened to that special edition that was out a few years ago, did it go out of print already?

Also why did Shout/Scream Factory choose to the release the sequel earlier this year, but not the original; this year is original film's 40th anniversary, so you'd think they'd release first, before the sequel, right?

This is a Mill Creek release and not Shout/Scream. Mill Creek also has VIBES, HUDSON HAWKE and NO MERCY in the same retro VHS artwork. None of these is for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks