What's new

Whats your best/worst DTS track ever. On DVD or laser.......... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
.............this was most likely done before. But since i'm new I can plead ignorance to the fact:D
Best DTS tracks.......dvd or laser, discuss.
The worst one's are my opion based on comparisons with the DD5.1 track on that DVD and my expectations.
ok......mine (dont have any DTS lasers, but it dont mean I dont want any)
Best DTS tracks:
Fast and the Furious,
Moulin Rouge,
Gladiator,
Die Hard 1, 2 and 3
Speed.
Unbreakable
Worst DTS tracks:
The Rock criterion,
Lethal Weapon DTS boxset,
Shrek,
post more up when I remember.........first I miss put the aspect ratio's decimel's point now this......my memory's not what it was a week ago:D
dont mind me and discuss please:)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Best:
Titan: A.E.
Worst:
I don't know of any that are horrible, but I agree that Shrek's isn't particularly noteworthy.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Ive noticed the biggest difference with Gladiator and Se7en. Another suprising movie I heard a difference on was Road Trip. Maybe I was on crack that day but I was very impressed.

D

DAN NEIR

Best
DVD:Gladiator, Blade II, The Haunting ,Saving Prvt Ryan, Castaway
Laser: Armageddon, Titanic, Jurassic Park, Lost World, Goldeneye
Worst
DVD:Evil Dead, Teaching Mrs Tingle, 12 Monkeys
Laser:Blown Away, Get Shorty
The worst ones aren't necessarily bad but just movies that aren't really movies w/ active surrounds. Except for Blown Away which I remember not being to impressed w/.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best DTS was Saving Private Ryan for a movie, while Jurrasic Park III was good too. But let's not forget the music DVDs where DTS really shines, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Don Henley, and the newest one I picked up ELO, awesome!

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Best DTS Tracks DVD for Me are: "Titan AE" and "Scream 3"
Laser "Hard Target", "Goldeneye", "Jurrassic Park", "Lost World" "Crimson Tide"

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm not sure I understand how you're defining 'best' soundtrack here. Why are the DTS soundtracks on The Rock and Shrek considered the 'worst'? I have heard many that are much worse, and consider both DTS soundtracks to be excellent (several truly bad DTS soundtracks are listed by Dan Neir).

Is a DTS soundtrack only good if it sounds better than an equivalent Dolby Digital soundtrack? This sounds like an odd basis for defining 'best' or 'worst' soundtracks. I would have thought a better way would be to judge each soundtrack separately on its own merits.

Adam

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Best:

Jurassic Park DTS LD
Casper DTS LD
ID4 DTS LD
The Shadow DTS LD
The Rock DTS LD
Hunchback of Notre Dame DTS LD
The Haunting DTS-ES 6.1 DVD (it puts TPM to shame!)
Titan A.E. DTS DVD
Gladiator DTS-ES 6.1 DVD
Twister DTS DVD
Chicken Run DTS-ES 6.1 DVD
Blade II DTS-ES 6.1 DVD (based on all the great reviews so far)
Bones DTS-ES 6.1 DVD
Corrected Jurassic Park DTS DVD
Fast and the Furious DTS DVD

etc. etc.

Worst:

Shrek (although, I think the fault lies with the less than spectacular sound mix that was produced for the film in the first place: very anemic and lackluster).

Dan

Declan

Second Unit
Adam, when I mean worst, I am saying that the DTS track does not sound as good as the DD5.1 alternitive, plus my expectations exceeded what I heard. E.G. The Rocks DTS track sounds fine, but is nowhere near as aggressive than the DD5.1 track......same goes for all the Lethal Weapons.
As for the jurassic Park debate:
The link below was taken from DVDReview BEFORE the remastered DTS version came out (I do not think that they have updated the review at all yet)
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...ic_park.shtml#
Here is the Digital Bits review with (at the end) an explaination of the remastered DTS version and how better it is than the pervious DTS and Dolby Digital versions
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/jurassicpark.html
Dan you have all the DTS Ld's that were available dont you? (think you said so in another thread). Lucky man:D
Forgot about the Se7en Platnum version.........God that did rock the house in the opening credits.

Declan

Second Unit
Oh yeah.......does anybody have the Twister SpEd with the DTS track. How is it better than the DD5.1 track off the Laserdisc.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I really didn't care for Titan A.E., but I'm intrigued at it's stature here at the forum for best DTS.

I also hadn't heard good things about the Haunting, but that gets mentioned time and time again.

If I can find these on the cheap or for rental, perhaps I need to check them.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Declan : They really don't sound different (at all).. Both Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on Twister were mastered at 0dB dialnorm, using the same masters, and both are at fullbitrate of each respective format. 448kb/s Dolby and 1.5Mb/s DTS. Both sound equal, and the track is near reference. Incredibly active and powerful.
Back me up on that, someone.. :D (surely it's not just my equipment)
afaik, it's merely the mix and mastering that separates an impressive sound experience from a less-than-impressive experience. (although of course, that doesn't explain why most lasers sound better than their DVD equivalent.) :frowning:

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm suprised that no one ever brings this title up, but out of over 600 dvd's and 500 ld's I think the best sounding disc I own is the DTS LASERDISC of Strange Days... epic.
The DTS Ld of the Crow is awe-inspiring as well.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
best: Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

worst: none come to mind. I wonder, though, why dialogue driven films like "I am Sam" even need DTS. Better put those bits into the picture. (not that I would complain about eh I Am Sam disc, which is as good as they get)

-Mathias

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that Close Encounters had a good dts track. Reservoir Dogs also has a nice dts track.

I'd imagine that Fellowship of the Ring Extended Cut will have one of the best dts tracks ever created.

Brion

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Whoa! The extended cut for LOTR is going to have a DTS option? Where have I been? Is this confirmed?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Declan:
I used to have quite a number of DTS LDs, not all of them. :) That would have been nice though! I still have some like all four Disney DTS LD titles (Hunchback, Hercules, Pocahontas, and Toy Story), The Rock, The English Patient, The Shadow, etc.
Full bitrate DTS LDs had, by far, the best sounding 5.1 tracks ever put on video media (wide dynamics and soundstaging, smooth, micro detail, etc.). Of course, if they can manage to put multichannel PCM or DSD on an HD-DVD that would be spectacular!
Chris:
Yes, it's been confirmed. In fact it's going to be a remixed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track.
Dan

Declan

Second Unit
Have to admit that Strange Days is amazing. Though I have only heard the 5.1 track off the DVD. It is one of the best mixed films available although it is held in very high regard. It doesnt get as much "this is a great sounding track" praise as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks