What's new

Whats your best/worst DTS track ever. On DVD or laser.......... (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
LD: Strange Days (I'd like to here Casper, Titanic and Dark City though)

DVD: Blade II is the new reference for me. SPR is very good too.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Best:
Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame LD
Casper LD
Schindler's List LD
Strange Days LD
The Red Violin DVD
Worst
Blown Away LD - sounds awful!
I think it has more to do with the quality of the recording than the codec.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I wonder, though, why dialogue driven films like "I am Sam" even need DTS. Better put those bits into the picture.
I have to disagree here...
In my experience, the mix is much more important than the actual codec used, and those discs where most of us agree dts is 'better' than DD usually have a different mix, SPR comes to mind.
When the same mix is used, I find it much harder to note the difference, I think I find dts to be maybe a little bit more natural sounding for subtle and atmospheric sounds, and also human voices. Therefore, I prefer dts on dialogue driven films such as Man on the Moon, American Beauty etc. When it comes to explosions and action, DD does just as good a job as dts in representing that. Just my humble opinions, of course, YMMV.
So, good dts mixes/discs (in addition to previous examples) are American Beuty, Red Violin, K-Pax while I agree that the Leathal Weapon trilogy does not sound that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks