What's new

What's up with story boards anyway - does anybody (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
What's up with story boards anyway - does anybody actually look at this Special Feature? I consider it a waste of money personally. I'd rather have more trailers.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
yeah? and I wouldn't :)
That's the beauty of DVD... we all get the choice to look at what we want (in theory).
I would rather have pre-production sotryboards from a director, as opposed to marketing materials from marketing execs at univeral...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like storyboards that are shown as a "video" cued to narration or the actual film soundtrack.

The storyboards on the Shrek DVD are well done (partially by the enthusiastic narration given!)

A few other good storyboard DVD's:

O Brother Where Art Thou?

Fantasia

Fantasia 2000

Snow White

The Wizard of Oz

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

StevenA

Second Unit
Trailers are fun and sometimes interesting, particularly for older films, but storyboards are far more valuable to me, if they are well-presented. They are often a crucial elememnet in the filmmaking process. The Akira storyboards and designs are phenomenal.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I like the Unbreakable storyboards. They are multi-angle with the train station sequence.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I found the storyboarded alternative ending to Se7en to be very effective in showing the unshot ending.
Count me in. I haven't viewed many of the storyboards for the DVD's I own, but I have liked the ones I've seen. Sometimes it is nice to see a shot as it was conceptualized in comparison to what was shot. Very educational.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
LOL - I stand corrected - I guess this post goes with the "I hate Moulin Rouge DVD also! :)
Commentary tracks are great,
The Making off tracks are great
The Costums tracks are great
Deleted scenes are super
I can't think of any Special Feature that is not liked except Story Boards. Perhaps because it reminds me of work where we do that all the time except with computer systems.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Birds also contained
storyboards, which I have preused through
a few times.
Mark

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't think of any Special Feature that is not liked
Er, that you don't like. I've been a fan of storyboards ever since the concept was explained to me on Criterion Collection laserdiscs. The storyboard comparison to the final footage of North by Northwest was an education in how the Master used them to plan the camera placement and movement.

- Steve

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Storyboards are good for the people who watch DVDs and buy into the "film school on a disc" mythos and imagine themselves as the next Kevin Smith or Spike Lee. :D
I'm just kidding around.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I usually don't care for things like commentaries and storyboards, but they're fine for those who like them. More is better than less.

One exception for me, though, is the Spawn DVD collection for the animated series. They show the boards with the final product simultaneously.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hey Chad, Why can't you just buy the disc and a regular keep case then switch it out? :confused: I'm sure someobody ot the net has created a cool card for it.
I like some story boards. The key is presentation. If I have to manually click-click-click my remote to see them I get tired of that real quick. Back in the day on SE LaserDiscs you could set the CAV storyboards to 1/32 speed and watch a storyboard slide show. Very good way to go. I would like to see that kind of approach on DVD more often. When they show the storyboards and the film at the same time I love that.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I generally don't look at the storyboards features. However, this is more due to time factors than anything else -- as a husband, dad and working guy, it usually takes me quite a while to work through the other special features. Commentary is usually the second-to-last feature I explore (storyboards being the last). Storyboards for me yield the least pleasure/information-for-time-invested ratio of all the special features. If they are exceptionally well-done, then I find them interesting artistically, but most storyboards seem so rough and sketchy that they don't grab my interest. And, as stated above, I simply don't have the time and focus to sit and go through the storyboards features.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
If storyboards could be shown like a slide show with

the music from the movie in the background, then I think

more people would find some interest in them.

I will review the storyboards and photo files and can

be suprised at finding some nice jems.

I loved the storyboards in;

Army of Darkness 2 disc edition. They played at the same

time as the movie and shown in a corner of the picture

for comparison.

The Red Shoes has the "The Red Shoes Sketches," an

animated film of Hein Heckroth's painted Storyboards,

with a comparison to "The Red Shoes" ballet as an

Alternate Angle.

Ghostbusters has a side by side of storyboards and fim.

Akira SE has a boat load of background artwork and is

critical to fans of animated film works.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Hey Chad, Why can't you just buy the disc and a regular keep case then switch it out? I'm sure someobody ot the net has created a cool card for it.
Philip,

Well, I figured it would be just as easy to wait for the limited run of the ice pick case to run out, but that hasn't happened. Not to mention that I only have a laser printer. (haven't needed a color one before) On the bright side, it is scheduled for a price drop at the end of March, so I'll probably pick it up either way at that time.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks