What's new

What's up with my network? help please! (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I got a strange situation going on here at my house with my router/cable internet and I was hoping ya'll could help me.

I am using a D-Link DI-604 router and Linksys cable modem which has worked flawlessly until tonight. The router shares my cable connection over to another computer and my X-Box. I came home and my mom told me that she could not get on the internet with her computer, I went to the computer and all was fine on my router and the cable modem. My computer was connecting as well as my X-Box. However the light was not lit up on the port where her computer plugs in and sure enough the computer would not connect. I fooled around a few minutes restarting the computer, and resetting the router and modem with no luck. Finally I unplugged and replugged the ethernet cable on the back of her computer and reset the router and it started working with no problems. Everything was fine until 15 minutes ago when I tried to get online with my X-Box and it "could not detect network settings" once again all appeared fine with the equipment so I went and reset the router and it started working. The only other time it did this was 2 weeks back with my X-Box when I jumped from one game to another and like described above it was settled with a simple reset. So far it has not affected the connection to my computer and it only seems to affect my other 2 networked devices.

Anyone have any ideas what may be going on? my suspicion is that the router may be busted, considering it did this once 2 weeks back. Any other ideas though? I already talked to router tech support and tried one of their ideas.

Barry II

Grip
Check your patch cables to the router/switch. Make sure there solid and working. Check if any of the ports on the switch are bad.

--Barry II

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Check your patch cables to the router/switch. Make sure there solid and working. Check if any of the ports on the switch are bad.
that is what tech support said so I've done it. The cables look fine, but I haven't been able to determine if it is a port issue yet because the problems described up above have not reoccured yet. Hopefully it will reoccur so that I can at least check to see if it is a port issue.

Bill Wise

Agent
Keith,

Is the signal from the cable modem run through a surge protector at any point? Routers can be extremely flaky in the presence of stray voltage (thunderstorm, fluorescent ballast, etc.).

Also, if you haven't already, shut down the two computers and the X-Box and then reset the router. It may have been a simple IP conflict that can be resolved by letting each device re-lease an IP from the router.

Good Luck,

Bill

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Also, if you haven't already, shut down the two computers and the X-Box and then reset the router. It may have been a simple IP conflict that can be resolved by letting each device re-lease an IP from the router.
When the problem started everything was off. The only case where this may have applied was last night when I posted this after it started messing up with my X-Box randomly. At the point both computers were on, and I gave the router a good reset which made it start working. When it messed up with my X-Box I ran the X-Box Live troubleshooter and it said there was a problem with the DNS addresses. The only thing I've done with it is switched all the ports and upgraded the firmware. So far today it appears to be working (keep my fingers crossed). I'm just kind of watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks