What's new

Whats the longest anyone who bought a blu ray player has lasted without a firmware upgrade ??? (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Just curious,I bought my blu ray player about 2 months ago, so far no problems.Will it last till the end of the year, without firmware upgrades ?? Also, if it does need the upgrade, will titles that already worked in the past be affected ?????

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
1. Will it work till the end of the year without a firmware upgradge? No reason why not, although it is possible that a new movie release will not work. However that window is closing rapidly since it is already mid-October.

2. Will titles that already work be affected? Should not, but with firmware upgrades of any kind of computer-based equipment, you never know for sure what will happen after an upgrade. It is always possible that a new firmware load will fix some problems and cause others.
3. As for you headline question: 6-12 months.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Tony. My Panasonic BD-10 has been without a firmware upgrade since August of 2008. That would be 13 months.

There have been no major problems that I've read about with software...until some recent issues with the Star Trek: TOS: Season 2 release. I don't know if the problems are widespread enough to cause an eventual firmware upgrade or not.

But it's a 1.0 generation player so I tend to think Panasonic does not plan to support any more firmware upgrades at all. But all titles that I have (knock on wood) play beautifully for me. They might take a little longer to load than in some of the newer players, but that's okay (and I really don't have any way of knowing if that's true. It just seems to me that titles take a really long time to load sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks