What's new

What's the absolute best HDTV on the market in the $2500 range? (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I've owned the Toshiba TW40F80, then stepped up to the TW40X81, which I currently own. Now, I'd like to step up to a bigger screen. I love the "tweakability" of the Toshibas. I've done every possible modification (electrical/mechanical focus, TLV maneuver, lining the cabinet, etc, etc.) Which of the current models (by any manufacturer) in the $2500 price range would I be happy with? MUST BE WIDESCREEN!

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Get the Toshiba Link Removed or, if you're willing to go up a couple of hundred, get the Link Removed. These are last year's models (2001), but they are reported to be more tweakable and render a better picture than the 2002 models.

Patrick G

Second Unit
Do those models have direct input access? What seems to be the problem with the new models?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

The Pioneer SD-582-HD5 58" 16:9 set can be had at my local Costco for $2799. If you can get your hands on one, that would be my recommendation.

(Yes, this is last year's model.)

Mark

Patrick G

Second Unit
I've decided that if I will be able to buy a new DLP set in the 40" - 65" range for under $4000 in the next year or year-and-a-half, I'll wait. Is that going to be possible?

JarelJ

Auditioning
I doubt it, the Panasonic 51" DLP model has a $12,999 MSRP, and has a street price of around $8,000. There were more new DLP models released at the CES this year, but I doubt if the prices will come down that rapidly.

You can find the new Pioneer SD-533HD5 for under $3,000 if you shop around. If you watch NTSC programming, this is THE one you want. It has lots of tweakable settings, as well as access to the service menu (for the brave). All of the good HDTV's have good HD pictures, but I didn't find any within a $2000 range that could touch the Pioneer for NTSC signals.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Why do you want DLP? Digital technologies still can't touch CRT for picture quality. Any particular reason you're looking so hard for DLP?

Patrick G

Second Unit
Why do you want DLP? Digital technologies still can't touch CRT for picture quality. Any particular reason you're looking so hard for DLP?
This contradicts everything I've been reading from people who went to CES and compared them side-by-side. I just thought it would be great not to have to worry about convergence ever again.

Collin

Auditioning
Patrick, I just saw a press release that Samsung had taken delivery of the TI DLP subsystems to build 2 new DLP projectors here's the text of the press release:

January 18, 2002 Related Links

Samsung Electronics America

Texas Instruments DLP technology

Samsung and Texas Instruments have announced a partnership in which Samsung will incorporate TI’s newest DLP panel into its proprietary light engine to create a new range of large-screen, tabletop DLP TVs with small footprints and low price points.

Pre-production units were on display at last week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. According to Samsung, the units feature screen sizes of 43 or 50 inches, weigh between 75 and 84 pounds, and measure front-to-back only 15.7 or 18 inches in depth. The company expects to have the products to market in mid-2002 with suggested retail prices of $3,999.99 for the 43-inch model and $4,499.99 for the 50-inch model.

Other features include multiple widescreen format inputs, DVD progressive scan input, DVI, a 15-pin D-sub computer input and 3/2 pull down.

"We see a huge opportunity here to position DLP technology beyond the competitive reach of alternative technologies," says Dale Zimmerman, manager of DLP Home Entertainment for TI's DLP Products division. "We're also excited by the marketing opportunity to leverage the work we have been doing with our DLP Cinema technology: We expect that consumers who have seen DLP Cinema technology in action will want to see similar technology in the entertainment systems they buy for their homes."

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" widescreen lists for $3300. You may be able to get one for close to $2,500. This set produces a better picture with standard definition than most others, and is also outstanding for HD.

That makes it a winner for me since I still watch a lot of cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks