What's new

What the heck is going on with Chewy? (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My last two orders from Chewy arrived damaged. Both came from the same warehouse. The most recent shipment was, ironically, to replace damaged items in the previous shipment.

First shipment - the bottom of the box was damp, so FedEx Ground should not have even attempted to deliver it.

Box02.jpg

Contents01.jpg

Contents03.jpg

Contents02.jpg

Litter.jpg

Litter2.jpg

CatFood.jpg

Oxy.jpg

The box of litter was also damp on the bottom from the crushed bottle of Oxy-Fast (which by the time it arrived was only half-full) that was placed UNDERNEATH the litter. The bag of dry cat food that was used as packing material had also been sliced open by the corner of the box of litter. Chewy tried to insinuate that I had possibly sliced open the bag when I opened the box, but the slit was facing down towards the bottom of the box.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Today's replacement order was slightly better, but not by much. Again, FedEx should have not attempted the delivery, as the box was partially opened.

Delivery.jpg

Tape.jpg

Contents.jpg

Debris.jpg

PuncturedFoodBag.jpg

Again, the slit in the bag of cat food was facing down, so it is very likely that the bag was punctured by the box of cat litter yet again. Both orders came from the same warehouse in Goodyear, AZ (outskirts of Phoenix).

Nothing against customer service, as once again they were happy to replace the bag of dry cat food (which will very likely ship from the same warehouse again). But why is it that packers at warehouses even think that a single sheet of butcher paper is going to secure the items inside? This is not the first time this has occurred with Chewy's Arizona warehouse, and I fear it will not be the last... A second replacement bag of cat food is on its way to arrive by the end of the week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aren't they full of peanut butter? That'd probably make the box fall apart.

🎶 The peanut butter box is here .... 🎵

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But why is it that packers at warehouses even think that a single sheet of butcher paper is going to secure the items inside?

I wonder if it’s just not up to them.

Amazon, for instance, tells its Warehouse pickers which shelves the item is on and what box and packaging material they are to use for it, and that’s that. They apparently are timed to the second for how long they’re given to put the item into the packaging that the computer has designated as the appropriate choice and it’s just not up to the individual employee to make that decision. And I would imagine the algorithms have made a calculated decision that using more inexpensive packaging that results in an occasional claim is still cheaper to the overall bottom line than using proper, more expensive packaging each time.

It’s a crummy way to do business but seems like a standard practice these days.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Maybe try to get litter shipped separately in the future. That heavy box shifting around inside the shipping box seems like a recipe for disaster for anything else in the box.

We've never have a problem with Chewy orders but our orders ship from warehouses in PA for the most part (most recent was via Wilkes-Barre). But we've also never ordered litter from them.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Maybe try to get litter shipped separately in the future. That heavy box shifting around inside the shipping box seems like a recipe for disaster for anything else in the box.

We've never have a problem with Chewy orders but our orders ship from warehouses in PA for the most part (most recent was via Wilkes-Barre). But we've also never ordered litter from them.
Pretty much everything I order from Chewy is on Autoship, and requires a minimum $50 to get free shipping. These Autoships have never been this much of a problem before, especially when they ship from my local warehouse in Reno, NV. Most of the shipping issues come out of their Goodyear, AZ warehouse.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Also, I live in a fairly rural area with limited retail, so I pretty much rely on both Chewy and Amazon for most of my items. The only supermarket, a Safeway, rarely carries the larger boxes of cat litter, and recently stopped carrying the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal altogether. The two convenience stores, Dollar General and Family Dollar, only carry the smaller 14 pound boxes at a much higher price, and again, it is usually a very limited quantity. I have two cats (actually three at the moment, as I am fostering a cat we thought was feral but wasn't and is having some health issues), so we go through quite a bit of litter.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
My last two orders from Chewy arrived damaged. Both came from the same warehouse. The most recent shipment was, ironically, to replace damaged items in the previous shipment.

First shipment - the bottom of the box was damp, so FedEx Ground should not have even attempted to deliver it.

View attachment 148835

View attachment 148828

View attachment 148830

View attachment 148829

View attachment 148832

View attachment 148833

View attachment 148827

View attachment 148834

The box of litter was also damp on the bottom from the crushed bottle of Oxy-Fast (which by the time it arrived was only half-full) that was placed UNDERNEATH the litter. The bag of dry cat food that was used as packing material had also been sliced open by the corner of the box of litter. Chewy tried to insinuate that I had possibly sliced open the bag when I opened the box, but the slit was facing down towards the bottom of the box.
Chewy should have done a better job of packing to keep the contents from moving around (I've seen the same problem with Amazon packages) but the damage almost certainly occurred during shipping. Packages move very fast through FedEx, UPS, and USPS (seriously, the speed is remarkable) and accidents happen sometimes, but repeated accidents along the same shipper-to-recipient route need extra attention.

You've already contacted Chewy, and they should be improving the way they pack their shipments. But if you haven't already contacted FedEx, do so, and include the pictures you posted here. If you don't get a response, follow up. I know it's a pain, but as in any large business, upper management doesn't always hear about these things without repeated reports.

Side note: consider ordering dry and wet products separately. Just a thought.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Chewy should have done a better job of packing to keep the contents from moving around (I've seen the same problem with Amazon packages) but the damage almost certainly occurred during shipping. Packages move very fast through FedEx, UPS, and USPS (seriously, the speed is remarkable) and accidents happen sometimes, but repeated accidents along the same shipper-to-recipient route need extra attention.

You've already contacted Chewy, and they should be improving the way they pack their shipments. But if you haven't already contacted FedEx, do so, and include the pictures you posted here. If you don't get a response, follow up. I know it's a pain, but as in any large business, upper management doesn't always hear about these things without repeated reports.

Side note: consider ordering dry and wet products separately. Just a thought.
I chalk this up to just sloppy packaging by that particular warehouse, because my replacement bag of dry cat food arrived today with the shipping box in pristine condition as well as the bag of cat food. This one shipped from my local warehouse.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What about walmart.com? I suggest ordering only the cat litter, which they have, and have it shipped. They have free shipping on orders of $35 or more, and two boxes of cat litter will get you there.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What about walmart.com? I suggest ordering only the cat litter, which they have, and have it shipped. They have free shipping on orders of $35 or more, and two boxes of cat litter will get you there.
I usually do not have this issue with Chewy, as long as they ship from the Reno, NV warehouse. The Walmart's here in this part of Nevada are a joke when it comes to customer service (there is none), and the stores here are about three months behind in changing the prices on their store shelves, yet refuse to honor those prices. If there is an issue, Walmart in my experience has been difficult to deal with if you need t make a return ("just take it to the store" even though the closest is 75 miles away).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I usually do not have this issue with Chewy, as long as they ship from the Reno, NV warehouse. The Walmart's here in this part of Nevada are a joke when it comes to customer service (there is none), and the stores here are about three months behind in changing the prices on their store shelves, yet refuse to honor those prices. If there is an issue, Walmart in my experience has been difficult to deal with if you need t make a return ("just take it to the store" even though the closest is 75 miles away).
Well, I don’t live in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here.

Just a stone’s throw from the vast wasteland called Wyoming.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently, after speaking with Chewy customer service, this is partially my fault for not requesting they use packing materials in my order???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks