What's new
World Wide Stereo

What the heck are the USB ports on DVD players/recorders for?? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What exactly can you do with those USB ports found on some DVD players? I thought you'd be able to hook up an external hard drive and play media files on it through your TV, but I just got a Polaroid DVD recorder that has one and tried it, and it didn't even recognize the drive being plugged in. The manual's not very clear as to what its real purpose is.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Oppo 980 recognizes media via the USB port without issue. It pops up on the screen and asks if you want to read from the drive and you can toggle between the two with the remote. Is there a button on your remote to tell the player to access the port?

Ar3d

Auditioning
Real Name
Ared
It is a cable that use to connect through our PC. If have a problem in using that and how it use? go to the website of the manufacturer... another one, most of the hardware right now has dics drive (installer) which used to recognized by our PC of what type of hardware that you add. So check if theres a driver or need to install the driver first.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I tried out a card reader I got, since my PC doesn't have any card slots on it, and it let me show pictures on the TV so that's pretty cool. It still wouldn't take anything from the hard drive though.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
On some older devices the USB port is only there for service and diagnostic use, it has no consumer functionality. On others it may have been put there for future planned upgrades that may or may not have been implemented.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't tried my 320G HD with the Oppo, but Oppo said yes an HDD would work with the port but that there was a limit to the size it would recognize. It also has to be formatted FAT32 to be recognized by the PS3, so maybe that is a factor as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks