What powered TFATF? (motohead thread)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Just curious, but how did you guys know that was a 426 hemi in the Charger? I kinda doubt they would have built a 383 for it.. but wasn't the 440 also an option that year?

The only 426 hemi I ever saw up close was in a '65 Belvedere and had dual quads on it.

Also, what is a spoon engine for the Civic?

And what engine was it Johnny Tran wanted for his Honda 2000?

Man, this movie makes me wanna drop the TRD supercharger in my V6 Toyota truck!

2. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure this is an embarrasing question, but what does the 10 seconds refer to in a "10 second car"?

3. Andrew Raubuck

Check out www.clubsi.com for all the civic info you could want. Also check out www.spoonsports.com. I believe it is an aftermarket company that hops-up Honda/Acura engines.
    As far as the 426 or 440 question, I am not sure. Isn't the 426 a little "rarer" than a 440? I would love to have either! Check out www.moparts.com for more info.
    10 second car = a car that can run the 1/4 mile (drag racing) in 10 seconds. Not too bad for a street driven car!
    The Fast and the Furious = Guilty Pleasure of mine!
    Andy
    1998 Dodge Neon
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda

4. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Andrew,

Thef 426 Hemi is a WHOLE lot rarer than the 440. I mean a whole lot. I can't give you numbers, but my dad, who was in his early 20's back when the muscle care era was at it's peak, said the 426 was the engine to get, period. It was probably one of the best normal production blocks Detroit every built. I would assume the engine in the Charger was a hemi, but I am not sure. Regardless, every time I see the Charger crash it makes me cringe!

5. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

6. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Johh,

It was available for both the Cuda and Charger. If you have ever seen the Steve McQueen movie Bullitt, the Charger in the car chase is supposed to be a 426 Hemi Charger. Or so the musclecar legend says. I think you could also get the 426 hemi in the Cuda's twin brother, the Challenger.

7. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

The 426 Hemi was available as an option in the Dodge Coronet, Challenger, Charger, Dart, and Super Bee models of the late sixties and very early seventies. In TFATF the engine in the Charger is a Hemi. The large valve covers with the spark plug wires protruding through them is a dead givaway.

8. Bill Zerby

Bill Zerby Extra

'10 second car = a car that can run the 1/4 mile (drag racing) in 10 seconds. Not too bad for a street driven car!'

Not too bad?! If you have a 10 second car I guarantee you are in the 99.99 percent of street cars. A stock Viper just dips into the 11's so you are talking about a car that can hand a Viper its a$$. And yes, a viper can spank most of the exotics (porsche, ferrari, lambo, etc.) in a 1/4 mile run.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Rick Radford

11. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

Took me a while to find a decent pic. Here ya go..
    [​IMG]

12. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I am a HUGE MOPAR enthusiast! Growing up my Dad always had a Hemi "Trailer Queen" in the garage, ranging from a Coronet, Belvedere, HemiCuda, and a '68 factory Dart with a 426 Hemi,factory prepped for the track(fiberglass fenders, bumpers etc.).

The Hemi design which was invented by Chrysler is still the design to be beat. Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars still use the Hemi design. 0-300+ MPH in under 5 seconds! The Hemi is still state of the art! The Chrysler HEMI is the KING of engines (BAR NONE!)

I could talk for hours about MOPARS! And I do at the Moparchat forum!

13. Sean Conklin

14. Rick Radford

15. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Interesting stuff about those engines. I am sure my dad would know a lot more about them. Those Big Block cars are from his generation. I guess you needed all that horsepower to move those 3 ton plus cars around quickly [​IMG]
    I have a question, does anyone know anything about a Chevrolet Corvette engine that was produced for a small number of late 60's model (67' I believe) Vette L88's -it was supposed to be a 427 that made 560 Horsepower as opposed to the regular 427 engine that produced 435 horsepower. I only read about it's existance on a poster that had stats for all vettes ever built including the engine options by year and model... but I have not heard anything about it since. Does it really exist?

16. Sean Oneil

Well, I looked around a bit, and yes ...it did exist, although only about 20 were ever built apparently. Currently they are valued at over $500,000 if you can find one for sale (you can't) and there are only twelve of the original 20 accounted for today. Sure would be nice to fine one of those lying in a junkyard somewhere [​IMG]
    Would have been cool if Vin Diesel had opened up his garage to reveal one of those in the movie. They could have built a nice replica, ya' know.

17. Sean Conklin

18. Sean Conklin

19. Sean Conklin

20. Sean Oneil

Well, since it appears that there were only 20 of those 67 vettes' ever produced, it certainly has a more mystic and mythical quality to it, and I also doubt that many had a chance to see what they could really do when run full throttle. From what I have read, in actuallity, Chevy listed the 427 L88 at 435HP, but actual dyno testing revealed a HP number right around 560.
    Again, since only 20 were ever built, I doubt many Hemi drivers ever encountered one in a street race or otherwise.
    Both are sweet muscle cars IMHO. [​IMG]