What's new

What powered TFATF? (motohead thread) (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Just curious, but how did you guys know that was a 426 hemi in the Charger? I kinda doubt they would have built a 383 for it.. but wasn't the 440 also an option that year?

The only 426 hemi I ever saw up close was in a '65 Belvedere and had dual quads on it.

Also, what is a spoon engine for the Civic?

And what engine was it Johnny Tran wanted for his Honda 2000?

Man, this movie makes me wanna drop the TRD supercharger in my V6 Toyota truck!

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure this is an embarrasing question, but what does the 10 seconds refer to in a "10 second car"?

Check out www.clubsi.com for all the civic info you could want. Also check out www.spoonsports.com. I believe it is an aftermarket company that hops-up Honda/Acura engines.
As far as the 426 or 440 question, I am not sure. Isn't the 426 a little "rarer" than a 440? I would love to have either! Check out www.moparts.com for more info.
10 second car = a car that can run the 1/4 mile (drag racing) in 10 seconds. Not too bad for a street driven car!
The Fast and the Furious = Guilty Pleasure of mine!
Andy
1998 Dodge Neon
1965 Plymouth Barracuda

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Andrew,

Thef 426 Hemi is a WHOLE lot rarer than the 440. I mean a whole lot. I can't give you numbers, but my dad, who was in his early 20's back when the muscle care era was at it's peak, said the 426 was the engine to get, period. It was probably one of the best normal production blocks Detroit every built. I would assume the engine in the Charger was a hemi, but I am not sure. Regardless, every time I see the Charger crash it makes me cringe!

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Johh,

It was available for both the Cuda and Charger. If you have ever seen the Steve McQueen movie Bullitt, the Charger in the car chase is supposed to be a 426 Hemi Charger. Or so the musclecar legend says. I think you could also get the 426 hemi in the Cuda's twin brother, the Challenger.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
The 426 Hemi was available as an option in the Dodge Coronet, Challenger, Charger, Dart, and Super Bee models of the late sixties and very early seventies. In TFATF the engine in the Charger is a Hemi. The large valve covers with the spark plug wires protruding through them is a dead givaway.

Bill Zerby

Grip
'10 second car = a car that can run the 1/4 mile (drag racing) in 10 seconds. Not too bad for a street driven car!'

Not too bad?! If you have a 10 second car I guarantee you are in the 99.99 percent of street cars. A stock Viper just dips into the 11's so you are talking about a car that can hand a Viper its a$$. And yes, a viper can spank most of the exotics (porsche, ferrari, lambo, etc.) in a 1/4 mile run.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The large valve covers with the spark plug wires protruding through them is a dead givaway.
Yep.

Incidentally, "Hemi" refers to the shape of the combustion chamber- hemispherical. The intake and exhaust valve arrangement is different (better) than your typical cylinder head of the day. Plus, the spark plug is in the center. Faster flame travel, better flow rates for a given valve size.

Nowadays, just about every new engine uses this layout in the cylinder heads. Four valve arrangements (in a few cases, five) with a centrally located spark plug are commonplace.

But Chrysler did it first.

Todd

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
The large valve covers with the spark plug wires protruding through them is a dead givaway.
Ah ha. So that's how you knew! I didn't know that.
The closest I ever came (thus far) to anything like the 426 hemi was a '68 Goat with the 400 cu in/4 bbl carb and the Hearst auto. I loved that car. :)
My personal fave was the Chevy 427 engine. (but I wouldn't have turned down a 428 Cobrajet or the 426 hemi!) I always loved the sound of a Mopar cranking up.
Long live the big blocks!

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Took me a while to find a decent pic. Here ya go..
hemi.jpg

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I am a HUGE MOPAR enthusiast! Growing up my Dad always had a Hemi "Trailer Queen" in the garage, ranging from a Coronet, Belvedere, HemiCuda, and a '68 factory Dart with a 426 Hemi,factory prepped for the track(fiberglass fenders, bumpers etc.).

The Hemi design which was invented by Chrysler is still the design to be beat. Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars still use the Hemi design. 0-300+ MPH in under 5 seconds! The Hemi is still state of the art! The Chrysler HEMI is the KING of engines (BAR NONE!)

I could talk for hours about MOPARS! And I do at the Moparchat forum!

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Interesting stuff about those engines. I am sure my dad would know a lot more about them. Those Big Block cars are from his generation. I guess you needed all that horsepower to move those 3 ton plus cars around quickly :)
I have a question, does anyone know anything about a Chevrolet Corvette engine that was produced for a small number of late 60's model (67' I believe) Vette L88's -it was supposed to be a 427 that made 560 Horsepower as opposed to the regular 427 engine that produced 435 horsepower. I only read about it's existance on a poster that had stats for all vettes ever built including the engine options by year and model... but I have not heard anything about it since. Does it really exist?

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Well, I looked around a bit, and yes ...it did exist, although only about 20 were ever built apparently. Currently they are valued at over $500,000 if you can find one for sale (you can't) and there are only twelve of the original 20 accounted for today. Sure would be nice to fine one of those lying in a junkyard somewhere :)
Would have been cool if Vin Diesel had opened up his garage to reveal one of those in the movie. They could have built a nice replica, ya' know.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Dang! That was no factory Dart! Maybe with a slant 6! Really? A FACTORY Dart with a 426 Hemi?
Yes really! Factory prepped with removeable fiberglass hood and all, My Dad sold it for around $35,000 over a decade ago. There were not many made, around 500, Chrysler had to make at least 500 street legal Darts with Hemi's for people to be able to compete with Hemi Darts in NHRA competition.

Most Darts were made with Slant 6, 273 V-8, 318, 340, and 383. The 383 was available in the Dart until 1970.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Would have been cool if Vin Diesel had opened up his garage to reveal one of those in the movie. They could have built a nice replica, ya' know.
Why? A Hemi Charger is way cooler. And no matter what Chevy claims on Horsepower, during the musclecar era, No other production car or engine outperformed a Hemi. So NO! it would not have been cool for Vin to pull out a Chevy, it was cool just the way it was!

During the Musclecar era the Corvettes with 454's could barely muster high 13 second passes.

Chevy had the Chevelle SS 454 rated at 450 HP, the dyno revealed 430 HP.

Chrysler rated the Hemi at 425 HP, the dyno revealed 510 HP(STOCK!), The Hemi was so powerful that the Ford and Chevy guys on the Nascar circuit could not keep up with a Hemi powered Nascar race car, so after the Ford and Chevy guys bellyached about it, the Hemi was deemed too powerful and was not allowed to be used. So what did Richard Petty do? He used a 426 "wedge" and still became the most famous Nascar champion ever!

MOPAR RULES!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Faced with the problem of Ford's complaints about the Hemi, the lack of GM involvement, and a promise to slow the cars down, NASCAR announced near the end of the 1964 season their new rules for 1965. The engine was now limited to 427 cu in, but all engines had to be production design only. This meant no overhead cams, high risers, or hemispherical heads. The Hemi was dead. Said Dodge's Cotton Owens, this would put Chrysler cars "out to lunch." Owens spoke the feelings of many of the Chrysler camp when he also said "This puts us out of racing."

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Well, since it appears that there were only 20 of those 67 vettes' ever produced, it certainly has a more mystic and mythical quality to it, and I also doubt that many had a chance to see what they could really do when run full throttle. From what I have read, in actuallity, Chevy listed the 427 L88 at 435HP, but actual dyno testing revealed a HP number right around 560.
Again, since only 20 were ever built, I doubt many Hemi drivers ever encountered one in a street race or otherwise.
Both are sweet muscle cars IMHO. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks