What's new

What movies do you have a personal connection with and why? (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Here is my list of movies and scenes that I have a personal connection with.

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence -Especially the scene where David's mother leaves him in the forest. This scene really shows pure loss and rejection. The feelings that are portrayed are exactly how I feel when rejected. But after a long journey of self discovery David finally finds happiness.

American Beauty - The scene where Lester and his wife are in bed together and tells her how he feels and then says (and im paraphrasing here) "it makes you wonder what else you can do that you forgot about". This is Lsters turning point in life. I think we all have those times where we realize what we really want out of life. He was brave enough and just ran with it.

Annie Hall - I love the opening scene where he tells the joke about not wanting to be a member of a club that would have him as a member. The rest of this movie is just a timeless insight into relationships. I especially love his depiction of LA "I forgot my mantra".

Can't Hardly Wait - A very unappreciated "teen" movie. One that I think actually had the most to say. This came out the summer after I graduated from high school and I really related with all of the characters.

Fight Club - This movie works for me on so many levels that im not going to get that deep into it. At least on this post. It changelles who we are and what we really want to be. It lets out our primal emotions. But keeps us grounded: "we are not special". My fav scene is where Tyler burned Jacks hand. "This is your burning hand, this is your pain, its right here"

Gattaca - A basic and simple story about one mans struggle with society.

The Graduate - Im sure every college graduate feels the same way Ben does. Suddenly he is thrust into a whole new world that is much more complex than his simple college days. It is to much for him and he find's peace in Mr. Robinson but soon she becomes the root of a whole new set of issues for Ben. "I have one word for you, Plastics"

Grosse Pointe Blank - Another basic and simple but comical story about one mans struggle with society and fitting into a norm. (Notice a trend here?) "How is your live going? ... Its in progress."

High Fidelity - A 90's Annie Hall. "I've been thinking with my gut since I was 16 and I have come to the conclusion that my guts have shit for brains."

Mumford - I love how Mumford just changes from someone who was really screwed up to a "normal" lifestyle. "In this world you are who you say you are."

Vanilla Sky - Shows us how fragile we all are. It also is a wonderful glimpse into our modern American culture. It takes is through the most traumatic moments of David's live but shows give us hope for a better day. "Every minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Abel Gance's Napoleon.

It was the doorway to true cinema appreciation for me. Before that...my idea of good movies was limited to Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz (which are great movies, nonetheless).

It also opened my eyes for silent cinema, epics, and more obscure titles.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Where do I start?
Star Wars
- I don't really know what it is, but I'm happy when I watch this movie. The movie has this magical quality of taking me from reality for a good two hours. I lead a rather dull existence, so this film naturally proved me with something to escape to.
Forrest Gump
- I'm a pretty big pessimist, especially when it comes to things about love. I always have this strange feeling that I swear I will find the love of my life only to have her unfortunately die on me, sort of like Jenny dies on Gump. :frowning:
The Godfather Part III
- Something tells me I'll die old and lonely too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks