What's new
World Wide Stereo

What kind of amplifer do you reccomend? (1 Viewer)

RyanSmith

Auditioning
Looking for a 5 channel amplifier to replace my Yamaha RXV-1500 power source. I will push M&K S-125 speakers. What do you reccomend and why?
Thanks,
Ryan

728x90

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
In the Hardware For Sale forum, Juan_R has this for sale. It's a Marantz five-channel that pushes something like 200-220 watts at 4 ohms, and he's asking $550 shipped. I've read over a bunch of threads on this amp, and it's seemed to get favorable reviews. Besides, if somebody else would hurry up and buy it, I wouldn't have to agonize over it anymore. :) I just don't think my wife would be happy with me if I did.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
MM9000 is conservatively rated at 150wpc @ 8Ohms. It's a solid amp and should handle just about anything you throw at it. $550 is pretty good including shipping.

RyanSmith

Auditioning
Price range was $500-$750 I will look into the Marantz. Does anyone know if that amp has a bright or warm sound to it? Thanks for the help everyone.

mackie

Supporting Actor

And your speakers... Sorry John, don't mean to be a pain.

I'n not familiar with your speakers. What Ohm are they listed as, what's the sensitivity, how big is your room, and how loud do you listen to movies and music?

RyanSmith

Auditioning
I have M&K S-125 4 ohm speakers. Room is 12'x22' and movies I listen to reasonably loud and music I listen to really loud. When I turn my volume up now with the Yamaha RXV-1500 at about 1/2 way the speakers stop getting loud and start getting (mushy)(whatever that means right?) Thanks again for everyones input
Ryan

mackie

Supporting Actor
I'm assuming you're using a sub. Probably any 100+ watt separate amp will give you enough power for your speakers. The Marantz discussed above is a good idea. If you want new, look at the outlaw M 2200. You can check out audio or ebay and look for a used Rotel, Adcom, B&K, or Parasound to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks