What's new

What is this aspect ratio called? (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Then why-o-why isn't a very new DVD like 'Chris Botti's' optimized for Wide screen?
I noticed it was new as well, and to be honest I can't imagine why this was done. There are no excuses at this point for any film (or TV show either) that is at least 1.66:1 wide to not be anamorphic.
More picture info is always a good thing, even if for now you have to throw it away if you own a 4x3 set.
This certainly isn't a studio trend at this point, nor a genre trend (Eurythmics PeaceTour is anamorphic for example, it's becoming quite common).
Graham, I think you dealer is lucky that Vince, Jeff, John and I are stateside. :)
No, we wouldn't beat him. We'd show up and wait for a full house of customers to call him out. And I'm not joking about that one. Clearly the guy's job is simply to lie to you about prices and push whatever the boss says to push (or he can make the best commission on).

Graham

Auditioning
Right then, where do I go from here?

I would like to safeguard myself from buying anymore NON-anamorphic titles but where can I find this out if mail order web sites do not always state this in their info.

Sometimes these mail order sites don't even mention the aspect ratio at all.

Sometimes the DVD packaging doesn't even state aspect ratio.

I have e-mailed some mail order companies in the past to enquire what aspect ratio the title is, and I always, yes always, get the same reply saying, 'all the information we have regarding this disc is on our web site.'

I obviously try lots of other mail order sites in the hope of finding out what I need to know.

Who do these companies think they are? Expecting me to make an educated purchase when not in possession of all the features. Surely they must realize that information is important to the consumer. Most other goods I purchase I know what to expect when they arrive but it appears not with DVD's.

I enjoy my home cinema BUT I am getting more and more disillusioned with this industry.

Is there another source of obtaining definitive answers?

Graham

Auditioning
DVD Basen is your new friend
I'm not too sure whether the above site is a friend.

Firstly, I thank you Peter for taking the time and trouble to reply to my query.

I have entered three DVD titles into the search and the information given on two is INCORRECT. 'Bad Company's-Merchants of Cool' (region 2) this is stated as wide-screen. In fact it's 1.33.

'AC/DC's-No Bull' (region 2) is also stated as wide screen, this also is 1.33.

The only one out of the three that is correct was 'Chris Botti's'(region 1) DVD.

I ask the question again where can I get definitive answers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks