What's new

What is Resident Evil? Ditto Eternal Darkness. (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I want to buy a Game Cube title next week (yeah, I know I should have bought an X-Box) and want to shoot the crap out of something. With all the bad reviews Turok is getting, and the fact I am so bored with the James Bond game, I was wondering if Resident Evil is a shooter (or Eternal Darkness for that matter). Can somegive me a description of these two games. Are either of them worth $50?

BTW-I'm also getting NCAA Football.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if Resident Evil is a shooter (or Eternal Darkness for that matter).
No and No. Both games involve shooting but both are more puzzle based and slower paced survival horror games.
The Resident Evil remake is much more about conserving bullets and trying to survive. You will use your defensive knives and all around try to avoid fighting more often than not. With that in mind, it is one of the most gorgeus games on the market and it *IS* an action title through and through. Just a slower paced one:).
Eternal Darkness is a whole other ball of wax. Its very story driven and provides a load of characters to play. I find it to be much more action oriented than Resident Evil. You'll constantly be fighting off enemies that are sometimes not even there. The insanity effects are unique to say the least.
Both games are fantastic (though I enjoyed Resident Evil more than Eternal Darkness). If your looking for something "Turok" like in action you may want to try the James Bond game (Agent Under Fire) for the cube. Many here spoke highly of it. HOwever both games above will provide some good action and some good scares:D.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Romier. I got through Agent Under Fire in less than a week and it didn't hold up to repeated play (for me). I know there's a new James Bond and Medal of Honor: Frontline are both coming out in November.

Maybe I'll give Resident Evil a try (though I am really wishing I had bought an X-Box now).

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't impressed with Bond at all. In fact after GoldenEye, I think all Bond games pale in comparison. The cube has a couple good looking FPS on the near horizon though. Timesplitters 2(OCT 15), and Metroid Prime(NOV)are both looking amazing. You may want to try out eternal darkness and resident evil (Both excellent games IMO)and wait for these to fill your FPS needs.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I liked Eternal Darkness more than Resident Evil. You could always save up for an Xbox. That's what I'm doing right now...

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Of the two, what has the longest playability, ED or RE?

In November I am surely going to by Medal of Honor. I might buy Godzilla. If I can't have the fighting chick of DOA3, then Godzilla will have to suffice.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
though I am really wishing I had bought an X-Box now
I have a PS2 which I basically got to play GTA3 and then discovered all the other cool games on there system. I also picked up a Gamecube because I have always loved Nintendo's first party stuff. I had the money for an Xbox too but the only game I really wanted to play was Halo. I'm not much of a fighting game person so DOA3 didn't do anything for me and while there were a couple other decent looking games nothing system selling worth. And although it has a lot of cool sports games, which I love, I already have two consoles worth of selections to choose from. In the end I couldn't see spending all that cash just for Halo. Maybe if they come out with some other AAA titles down the road I'll break down.
If you want some reviews on ED and RE go check out www.gamerankings.com a pretty useful site.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It seem like that the XBox and PS2 gets some games months before the Game Cube does (like Medal of Honor) or has exclusives like DOA3 and Buffy that would appeal to me.

I got the Cube for Rogue Leader and with the hope that Perfect Dark Zero was going to come out.

Nintendo has really dropped the ball (as they did with the N64) by only allowing releases to trickle out. There appears to be a lot coming out in november and December, but there are already so many titles for the PS2 and X-Box that I'd already be playing many of the games I want now.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Medal of Honor for the PS2 because of great reviews and I regret it terribly. While its not a bad game it was just so linear it drove me nuts. There is about 10,000 doors throughout the game and wouldn't you know every single one of them was locked! This is world War II man kick that friggin door down and take cover! Besides that aiming your players weapon was mission unto itself it was like a crap shoot with the crosshairs jumping from one side of the enemy to the other. Hopefully though they will improve the conrol at least for the GC version. Even if its just a straight port though I think the GC controller's analog stick is much more precise than that of the PS2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Between ED and RE, I'm not sure which has the most replayability.

In RE, you can replay the game on harder difficulties, different modes with modifications to the core game, special weapons, and there are 2 characters with their own unique game.

In ED, you play through the game 3 times, and each time it slightly changes, so the experience is different.

For the first time through, I think ED is longer than RE. Maybe even for replays.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and bought Eternal darkness and will try it tomorrow (instead of watching September 11 coverage, which I don't need to relive).
I also picked up Turok because I need to shoot something, and NCAA Football because it's the only way the Huskies (UW)have a chance at a National Title :).

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
You made the right choice with the Cube, Nintendo is beginning to bring out the big guns for games and plenty of third party games are here and coming!
Me and my roomies have all three systems but all we have been playing is NCAA 2003, Monkey Ball 2, Mario Sunshine, and Eternal Darkness on the GameCube!! The other two systems aren't seeing much action. The games are here or coming, get yourself some wavebirds and sit back to let the fun begin :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks