What's new

What happened to 1492:Conquest of Paradise DVD? (1 Viewer)

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
This is getting beyond ridiculous. I have no clue as to why there has never been a DVD release in North America. I enjoyed this at the theater back in 1992 and would love to buy a decent DVD or Blu-ray of the film. Every other edition released in other parts of the globe has been disappointing with an average video/audio transfer.

Not sure why Ridley Scott has never pampered his work here like his other films, but I hope it happens soon because he is personally burying this film in the States, I think many viewers here have forgotten this film.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I think it would be a wonderful film for Criterion to tackle. Either way, I hope Ridley decides to contribute to the DVD and consider a Director's Cut like the rest of his films.

This film has been ignored and forgotten for too long. Perhaps Mr. Lauzirika can help get the ball rolling on a DVD/Blu-Ray?

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by MLamarre /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd#post_3595835
I think it would be a wonderful film for Criterion to tackle. Either way, I hope Ridley decides to contribute to the DVD and consider a Director's Cut like the rest of his films.
This film has been ignored and forgotten for too long. Perhaps Mr. Lauzirika can help get the ball rolling on a DVD/Blu-Ray?
I doubt we see a Criterion edition, though without question I am in total agreement that it would be a wonderful film for Criterion to tackle. I have bought and sold off over the years the France R2, Russian R2, German R2, UK R2, and the Aussie R4 (has the same German R2 video transfer), all with just ok video/audio, the Aussie version has some nice extras. I decided to stick with the Japanese R2 DVD since I am from the States and I like the video/audio on the disc. If they just put out a respectable edition with a solid video/audio transfer, I have never been a big extras person, that would be fine until Ridley can design his vision for the rumored Director's Cut.
Somebody in the Scott camp needs to step it up and get this movie a DVD/Blu-ray edition and work on the Director's Cut in the future. I don't get why the director would completely overlook this wonderful body of work this long for a DVD release. By not having it available for public viewing he is just burying his own film.
Get this one released guys....

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Remember, Scott was approached to do an extended version, possibly for an HBO miniseries broadcast. I'm pretty keen on a 1492 DVD, myself, but I have faith that our patience will be rewarded.
Scott is very busy right now filming Robin Hood and he has Brave New World and Alien 5 shooting immediately afterwards. As soon as his schedule eases up he might revisit a few more titles. If any director consistantly delivers extended versions of his films, it's Sir Ridley.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Ridley Scott is definitely a very busy man right now, still I'd settle for a theatrical edition on DVD or Blu-ray while we wait for the Director's Cut. I don't understand why this is absent here in the States on DVD, this has never been explained.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm just gonna buy the Korean DVD as an interim until Charlie and Rid can create a multi-disc DVD/Blu-ray release of this.
Perhaps with seamless branching?

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Ray_R /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd#post_3596866
I'm just gonna buy the Korean DVD as an interim until Charlie and Rid can create a multi-disc DVD/Blu-ray release of this.
Perhaps with seamless branching?
I read a customer review online of that disc, the Korean edition has huge compression issues (block noise), it's also on a single layer disc and not dual-layer, cheap quality. Avoid at all costs if it's the edition that says "1492: Chistophe Colomb" on it (the cover was taken from the respectable R2 France edition) as well as the one with the Armand Assante cover. A big reason why the States needs a theatrical DVD, so people don't buy those R0 inferior editions because they have no other options.
The best editions of 1492 across the globe are the NTSC Japanese R2 DVD, PAL German R2, France R2, Aussie R0 edition (has same video transfer as German R2). There was a Brazil definitive edition that had a couple extras but the video quality was very soft and they totally screwed up the transfer (looks like it was synced from a DVD player via analog cables and not progressive).
Hopefully we will see a respectable edition come out of the States one day.
Edited by ricktech12 - 8/18/2009 at 02:28 am GMT

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by ricktech12 /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd#post_3596890
I read a customer review online of that disc, the Korean edition has huge compression issues (block noise), it's also on a single layer disc and not dual-layer, cheap quality. Avoid at all costs if it's the edition that says "1492: Chistophe Colomb" on it (the cover was taken from the respectable R2 France edition) as well as the one with the Armand Assante cover. A big reason why the States needs a theatrical DVD fast, so people don't buy those inferior editions because they have no other choice.
Well shit, it's only $2.70 on k2dvd.com so I wouldn't mind. I'd be more irritated if a release was more expensive which I purchased which was on a DVD5 for such a long film.
My Blu-ray DEESC player arrived last Wednesday and after Robin Hood is released, I'd expect a dual released DVD/BD. I know everyone would love a commentary from Ridley Scott and perhaps with Gérard Depardieu. Seamless branching, isolated score and a second disc devoted entirely to the making of the film would be nice.
The Japanese LAZORDEESC (Oh I'm so very funny...) is 6 minutes longer and I think has an audio commentary.
Strange thing is I swear I saw this at Circuit City in 2005 or earlier and was going to buy the DVD. I had another title but dammit I should've purchased both.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Ray_R /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd#post_3596895
Well shit, it's only $2.70 on k2dvd.com so I wouldn't mind. I'd be more irritated if a release was more expensive which I purchased which was on a DVD5 for such a long film.
My Blu-ray DEESC player arrived last Wednesday and after Robin Hood is released, I'd expect a dual released DVD/BD. I know everyone would love a commentary from Ridley Scott and perhaps with Gérard Depardieu. Seamless branching, isolated score and a second disc devoted entirely to the making of the film would be nice.
The Japanese LAZORDEESC (Oh I'm so very funny...) is 6 minutes longer and I think has an audio commentary.
Strange thing is I swear I saw this at Circuit City in 2005 or earlier and was going to buy the DVD. I had another title but dammit I should've purchased both.
$2.70 is about rental price, so that's a fair deal. A poster here mentioned Criterion picking the film up, I don't see it but they make some odd choices so maybe. Would love a nice sit down interview with Scott and Depardieu on making the film, casting etc, maybe even Sigourney Weaver who has worked in other films with Depardieu could comment.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
It was announced and then postponned without a new date. Charlie de L. has stated he's working on a few Ridley SEs at the moment, and my feelings is that these are Black Rain and another one. 1492 was supposed to have been out sometime in November I believe withouyt any extras, and was rightfully postponned/cancelled. It needs a 2-disc SE at the very least.
Well around 5 years has passed us by and that 2004 bare bones DVD sounds pretty good to me right now! /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
You think they really missed the boat with this film when Gladiator was released on DVD for the 1st time, this should have come out the same day on DVD, the perfect tie-in.

What do all of you think? This is Scott's 1st historical epic...and helped him later gear up for the masterpiece that is Gladiator.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by ricktech12 /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd#post_3596901
$2.70 is about rental price, so that's a fair deal. A poster here mentioned Criterion picking the film up, I don't see it but they make some odd choices so maybe. Would love a nice sit down interview with Scott and Depardieu on making the film, casting etc, maybe even Sigourney Weaver who has worked in other films with Depardieu could comment.
It's a South Korean release, $2.70 doesn't bother me but I'd much rather have a multi-disc set on DVD/Blu-ray.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
It seems both of the 1992 Columbus films are having a very hard time making it to DVD, since they both flopped in the States, it could be political, rights issues, or simply the studios or Director's wanting to intentionally bury them. There is a R2 disc for both of them out but both films are absent on DVD in the States.

Scott's film though with Depardieu, Ridley Scott, Sigourney Weaver and Vangelis world famous score has no excuse for not getting released onto either DVD or Blu-ray. It is also hailed as one of Scott's most beautifully filmed movies. Clearly if it is still Paramount, they could make a profit on a DVD release.

Not sure if it will ever get the treatment it deserves, would have been a perfect Gladiator tie-in back in 2000, for now we wait and wait....and pray for a DVD or Blu-ray release.

Real Name
Cynthia Fuller
I own the Japanese Laserdisc of 1492 but it's in storage. It's even slightly longer too! 2012 is the Twentieth Anniversary of both Christopher Colombus movies. I don't know why the movie studios haven't released them on DVD or Blu-ray.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by CynthiaF200 /forum/thread/197969/what-happened-to-1492-conquest-of-paradise-dvd/30#post_3604358
I own the Japanese Laserdisc of 1492 but it's in storage. It's even slightly longer too! 2012 is the Twentieth Anniversary of both Christopher Colombus movies. I don't know why the movie studios haven't released them on DVD or Blu-ray.
I own the Japan LD as well, the Japan DVD has the same cut of 1492 on it in a sharp anamorphic transfer. I got that version in the late 90's on LD. As for the studios releasing 20th anniversary editions of both Columbus films of 1992, well you would think it makes sense. That gives Ridley Scott 3 years to get his rumored Director's Cut of 1492 ready. You would think Paramount would love to release 1492 as a 20th anniversary edition with both theatrical and directors cuts included. They seemed to have no trouble releasing the Laserdisc version in the States, the DVD is a different story.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I think if the studio Paramount doesn't have enough faith or confidence that releasing 1492: Conquest Of Paradise on DVD/Blu-ray would turn much of a profit in, they could always make it an Amazon.com exclusive and if it sells well enough make it available everywhere. A few studios have done this with select titles, because bottom line is this has to get released at some point by them, so if it's Ridley Scott or Paramount holding this release up, this is beyond me. Just saying it's not a bad idea...

Ridlazz921

Auditioning
Real Name
Lasse Pedersen
Hi,
i would also love to see an directors cut whit some heavy behinde the scenes stuff.
i live in norway and i bought the movie at a local film store.
its desent quality whit some few behinde the scenes stuff, like some reaaly short interviews whit ridley scott, gerarde depardieu, sigourney weaver and armand assante. it also have som small footage from the sets and when they filmed some scenes like when colombus talkes to moxica about the horse, when colombus go in land at bahamas and some other stuff.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Amazon Prime and Netflix now have this movie streaming in HD. It's a lovely looking transfer.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Neil S. Bulk said:
Amazon Prime and Netflix now have this movie streaming in HD. It's a lovely looking transfer.
Not into streaming, just buying and renting DVD's, Blu-ray. I was wondering what movie studio is featured at the start? It baffles me why they have an HD master that is ready to go and no DVD or Blu-ray has ever had a Region 1 release. I guess this is better than absolutely nothing and this thread was started in 2004 and it's still MIA on DVD and Blu-ray for region 1, I have no idea why no one wants to distribute this in USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks