What's new

What easy snacks/meals do you like? (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Over the years I've perfected a easy cold lunch for the long hot Texas summers. It's basically a kind of tuna salad, but I can't stand mayo, so I make it a different way - ends up much more tasty IMO (and healthier too).

Start with a can of chunk light tuna packed in water. I prefer chunk light because it has a nice sticky consistency that makes it easy to mix with other stuff. Drain the water and put the tuna on a plate. Sprinkle lightly with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and mix it in. Then add a healthy portion of pico de gallo (I often buy this Mexican relish pre-made in local stores, but it's easy to make yourself - simply dice tomatoes, onions, & jalapenos, and combine with lime juice & chopped cilantro). Mix well. Yum!

You could put this in a sandwich (in a pita would be good too), but I forego the bread and eat it right off the plate, usually with a few potato chips (Zapp's, of course) and wash it down with ice tea.

Lately, I've "developed" a variant. I've become addicted to Sunkist's shelled pictachio kernels (you can buy them in Sam's). I now mix a handful of these in with the tuna/pico salad. They add a nice flavor contrast, and a satisfying crunch to the whole affair.

Quick, easy & very tasty. I live off this in summer.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I cook this one in about 15 minutes for the kids and myself when the wife is working.
Cook a pot of spaghetti or noodles. While waiting for the water to boil, put some oil and boneless chicken in a frying pan. I throw about 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic in while it is cooking. When the noodles are done I drain them and add a third stick of butter, then salt & pepper. Chop the fried chicken into small chunks and mix with the noodles. Add parmesan cheese on top and it is good to go. I usually serve applesauce with it.
Our other favorite is one of those taco kits. Just cook the hamburger and everything else is in the kit except the cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.