What's new

What does this mean? IRT Criterion Spellbound (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
From DVDFile:

Rounding out today's news, Criterion has announced the full specs for their latest Hitchcock extravaganza, Spellbound. Due on 9/24, this two-disc set features a brand-new 1.33:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original English mono track, an audio commentary with Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane, the complete 19448 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, an illustrated essay on the Salvador Dali dream sequence, additional essays by noted Hitchcock scholars, Excerpts from a 1973 interview with composer Miklos Roza, an extensive still gallery, and the trailer. Retail is $39.95.
What the heck is a 1.33:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
1.33:1 windowbox, I assume.

There are black mattes on the sides when viewed on a 16:9 set and black mattes around the picture information when viewed on a 4:3 set.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Rutger. That sounds like a good way to do it. Ooh, now I'm going to feel bad when a classic 1.33:1 film is not anamorphic widescreen. ;)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's a typo, I'm sure. Anamorphic enhancement was designed to offer increased resolution (33% more) for widescreen movies, but a 4:3 image within a 16:9 anamorphic frame for DVD results in a 25% *loss* of resolution.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
From Criterion:

Film Info
111 minutes
Black and White
1.33:1
Dolby Digital Mono 1.0
Not Anamorphic
English
Release Info
Catalog Number:
CC1577D
ISBN:
1-55940-924-X
UPC:
7-15515-0126-2-1
SRP: $39.95
That "Not Anamorphic" seems strange to me. Why even bother to say that? I guess it's a standardized form, or something.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so is there any word on if this release will have the 1 red frame in the movie or not. i thought i saw that there is a version that does not. i could be wrong about that.

i cant really say what this 1 red frame is as it is a plot giveaway but if you have seen it you know what i am referring to.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
so is there any word on if this release will have the 1 red frame in the movie or not. i thought i saw that there is a version that does not.
The current Anchor Bay DVD release of Spellbound does not have the red frame. I have it and have confirmed that the single frame of colour is missing.
There's a rumour that newer pressings have this problem corrected, but I've never found such a pressing. I went last year to Sight & Sound and they very kindly opened a brand-new copy for me to check, but the red frame was still missing.
I'm hoping that Criterion gets this famous (and distinctive) detail correct on their version.
doug

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The current Anchor Bay DVD release of Spellbound does not have the red frame. I have it and have confirmed that the single frame of colour is missing.
Yoy can't have the latest pressing then. I have it and the red frame is definitely there and so is the Entry and Exit music which was not on the first pressing.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
The first copy I bought was also missing the color frame and the overture and exit music. Anchor Bay replaced it for me free of charge. There was a thread about it 1 or 2 years ago that had the phone number to call.

Tom Fynan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks