What's new

Weekly RoundUp 7-7-2009 (1 Viewer)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I can't see the first two pictures either, and I disabled my script blocker and allowed everything in this page..using latest FireFox 3.0.11.

As far as the round up, nothing for me, but I'll bet Jackelyn Bisset ("The Deep") will look marvelous On Hi-DEF Blu ray..

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike: What you have to do in order to avoid hotlinking issues in the future is save the images you want to use on your computer and upload them to the HTF. Get the rest of your post into the window first, and then move the cursor to where you want the first picture to go. Click on the icon above (labeled "Insert/Upload Image" on mouseover). Your screen will go dark and the following box will appear:

Use the "Browse" button to find the picture on your harddrive, add a description if needed, and click OK. The image will be inserted into your template. Repeat for each image in the Roundup.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... So nobody else finds Mike's roundup post forcing scrollbars? I get scrollbars (in IE6) because the pics *and* the price tables are too wide for the post display body.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There ya go, everybody. Thanks for the help.

The OP should now work for everyone! LMK if there's still a problem for anyone.

[/url]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Hmmm... So nobody else finds Mike's roundup post forcing scrollbars? I get scrollbars (in IE6) because the pics *and* the price tables are too wide for the post display body.

_Man_
I am having this same problem (also using IE6). The scrollbars make the roundup table totally unreadable. The ads on the right side are taking up all of the acreage on the screen (and I have a widescreen display).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great work as always, Mike! On the weeks I forget to check here first, I always regret doing so.

Now the question is whether to pick up Push with Knowing tomorrow at Best Buy. My plan had been to wait on Push until it resurfaces sometime next year in the $7.50 racks at Walmart, but the $6 gift card for a future purchase would effectively bring the price down to $10.99 before tax. That's probably going to be a spur of the moment decision tomorrow evening.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Agreed. It seems they maybe have not been so great since the demise of Circuit City.
Originally Posted by pitchman

Thanks guys! These Best Buy BD catalog prices are a joke! Nothing for me this week...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Hughes

Agreed. It seems they maybe have not been so great since the demise of Circuit City.
Barring the occasional $15 sale on the usual Warner titles, I don't think Best Buy ever had good prices on Blu-ray catalog titles. As a matter of fact, I think almost every Blu-ray catalog title that I've ever bought (I have about 50) has been from Amazon because they've always had cheaper prices than Best Buy.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think today is the official release of Iron Maiden: Flight 666 on BD (it was a BB exclusive last month). My Amazon preorder is in the hands of the USPS. . .

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Deep Discount has selected box sets for up to 60% off, including Studio One Anthology for 35.28 with Free Shipping. http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Ultimate-Box-Set-Sale_stcVVcatId492036VVviewcat.htm

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer ">[/url]

I am having this same problem (also using IE6). The scrollbars make the roundup table totally unreadable. The ads on the right side are taking up all of the acreage on the screen (and I have a widescreen display).

[/QUOTE]
Looks like this is a backwards compatibility problem for IE6 although even IE7 is actually not w/out its own problem if you don't have the screen space/res (to go much above 1024px width).

I just finally tried IE7 (remotely) on some other work machine, and it displays fine *IF* you widen the browser enough for the variable-size post body to fit Mike's HTML tables (for the prices). The pics will resize in IE7, but the tables require a wider browser view to be completely visible.

As pointed out in the observation thread (in the feedback section), apparently, the new format layout is set to vary between ~1024px and ~1280px -- and the right side area for ads and that nav panel is (essentially) fixed while the post body area varies according to browser width. However, the variable post body width does not work in IE6.

OTOH, I noticed that IE7 does not seem to (correctly) bring up the scrollbars at all even when they're needed, if browser width (and thus post body width) is too narrow to handle Mike's HTML tables. So if you're stuck at ~1024px width (or just much prefer that for browser size) and use IE7, you can't even scroll to see the rest of the tables. Maybe IE8 solves that problem (or maybe not), but a requirement to upgrade to IE8 would be rather obnoxious, IMHO. As it is, I'm not crazy about upgrading to IE7 -- and I intend to hold off for now. And if I upgrade to IE7, I'll still be forced to widen my browser window (probably to 1280px) in order to ensure everything shows up correctly on HTF.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Swarce It's actually a fitting mistake when you think about it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/289962/weekly-roundup-7-7-2009/30#post_3581509
If you're finally considering upgrading, why in God's name would you go to IE7 when IE8 is already out? If you've got to rip the bandaid off, you might as well go whole hog.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

If you're finally considering upgrading, why in God's name would you go to IE7 when IE8 is already out? If you've got to rip the bandaid off, you might as well go whole hog.
Well, that all depends. With software, especially broadly used Microsoft software (though it's not always their fault), I prefer to stay away from the bleeding edge. I did the same when moving up to IE6. IE8 will inevitably need tons of patching, etc., especially for security issues among others -- and 3rd party software providers will need to catch up in terms of compatibility, etc. etc.. Ultimately, I just feel safer w/ an older, more mature version of their software and hadn't seen any real need to upgrade until seeing this Huddler platform in action -- honestly, this is the **only** site that makes me think I need to consider upgrading from IE6 anytime soon.

Likewise, honestly, while I do appreciate Ron's and Parker's vision to continually make HTF better, I do wish more of the kinks w/ this Huddler platform had been worked out before release -- and would've opted to stay w/ a "classic" mode at least until most kinks have been ironed out. Fortunately, due to my relatively old school approach to forum participation, many of the kinks have not bothered me too much, if at all, mainly because I don't normally use the various extra features of the old HTF.

In any case, whether I personally upgrade to IE7 or all the way to IE8 should be besides the point. Other folks already using IE7 should **not** be forced to upgrade to IE8 just to see if certain kinks w/ the new HTF would be resolved.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks