What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's worth noting that Wal-Mart has some sort of more expensive exclusive version of Paddington 2. It includes an "activity set," but it's not entirely clear what all of the contents are. Price is $27.96, up from $22.96 for the disc by itself. There's a picture on the website; it looks like there are some papers, but I really can't tell specifically what they are.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Paddington-2-Walmart-Exclusive-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital/891547216

I just kept my standing Amazon pre-order since this doesn't look like anything I can't live without, but thought I would mention it for those who may be interested.

Also, Wal-Mart's website is showing a different cover for both the regular edition and inside the gift set than other online retailers, such as Best Buy, Target and Amazon. Wal-Mart's is on the left; the other, more common one is on the right:

Paddington 2 walmart cover.jpeg Paddington 2 Amazon cover.jpg
It's not clear if Wal-Mart actually has an exclusive on the cover, or if one of the two covers is simply out of date and hasn't been updated to reflect the final version. Wal-Mart's website does not say anything about having an exclusive cover.

The one on the right exactly matches the theatrical poster for the film, but I actually like the one on the left better for the background image of the fair, which looks nice and plays a part in the film, besides the wider image of Paddington in his coat. It will be interesting to see what the cover looks like when I get it in the mail tomorrow. I'll report back when I get it. I'm hoping for the left one.

Regardless, just in case it wasn't already totally clear from my previous post, I absolutely love this movie and highly recommend it to everyone. The theatrical release gross topped out at $40 million and certainly the movie did not reach as many people as it deserved, at least in the U.S., so I'm hoping the Blu-ray release gives it a new lease on life as it were and more people discover its delights.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
More and more, I find myself streaming shows that I'd much rather buy, but for whatever reason Amazon does not put out shows like Bosh, Man in the High Castle and others on Blu-ray. I don't understand why they don't do physical releases?

That's easy. Because they want to keep those shows exclusive to their Prime subscription service. The whole point of their programming is to make you sign up for Prime, because when you sign up for Prime to get the shows, you'll also end up ordering more products from their store because the shipping is paid for as part of your Prime fee. That's their business model. Do you need to buy your toilet paper from Amazon instead of going to a physical store? Probably not, but you've already paid the Prime fee, so it ships for free; therefore, you might as well just click a button and save yourself the trip to the store. That's what they want everyone to think.

The minute they release those shows elsewhere, the lure of them to drive subscriptions is lessened because you CAN get them elsewhere. Yeah, they'd get money if you bought it physically -- but they'll get more money if they keep you subscribing year after year and using your subscription to buy everything you need on Amazon without additional shipping costs.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I couldn't find Grease UHD locally so I ordered it from Amazon and it should arrive Thursday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In my post #21, I posted about the two covers for Paddington.

I just received my copy in the mail from Amazon and it is the cover I posted on the right in that post, which looks like the poster and doesn't have the background of the fair.

I don't know if Wal-Mart actually has the other cover exclusively or if it is just up on their site in error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks