What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/4 (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well the "freebie" at WM is a CD Rom game of some sort and EVERY SINGLE COPY of Nemo had one at the WM I went to, and there must have been at least 500 copies of the DVD in the store (3 separate display racks for it + they were on the shelf in the electronics area).

The clerk in the electronics dept said that he personally must have rung up about 200-300 or so already and no telling how many were sold through the main checkout lines.

So CUDOS to WM for having plenty of their freebie on hand!!

Greg

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
BB guy told me they could not price match with CC AND take the coupon in the same transaction. I agree with Patrick about CC setting the standard for price. You never know what BB is going to pull.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ran by Borders and found Duran Duran for $34.99; w/coupon $29.74...no sale. Will get it for $24.99 at Suncoast; thanks for Tony mentioning that. No Ox-Bow Incident even listed in their system! :eek: Guess I'll look elsewhere for that later on.

Picked up Little House S3 for $49.99 reg/$42.49 after-coupon. Also found SNL: Halloween and SNL: Christmas for $14.99 reg/$12.74 after-coupon, and finally found Homecoming: A Christmas Story for $12.99 reg/$11.04 after-coupon. Grabbed a magazine and got 15% off of it, too. THANKS, ANDREA!

Jeremy Stockwell:
I got Little House season 3 at costco for $32.99
Whoops...looks like for a $10 difference I will be returning LH-S3 to Borders after all. Thanks for this info.

Greg S's points that every Wal-Mart copy of Nemo had the CD-ROM is well considered. Gary's right in that it's a load of bull that these promos aren't enough. Borders' Nemo promo item from what I could tell was a bunch of coupons good for future grocery store purchases on various items (the Lipton Tea logo springs to mind). $19.99 each...nah, not even with the 15% off coupon. At least I finally got The Homecoming. :)

Wade K

Second Unit
Has anyone tried to use the BB 10% off any Sci-Fi/Horror DVD on the Deep Space Nine Season 6 set? Curious if I should even bother.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David,youre welcome, but dont thank me just yet. Because you never know, it might be a different price from suncoast to suncoast.Anyway im loving the way the dvd looks and sounds.Phenomenal for 2.0 stereo sound !It rocked the house,with the volume only halfways up ! :D

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Scott, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. She sure had it coming.

I went to BB with my 10% off Disney coupon and 4 McDonalds dollars in my pocket. When I checked out, I forgot all about them and paid full price :frowning:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Question for ya, David L. If you like Wal-Mart that much (and found the best price on most everything there this week), how come you don't include their prices in your round-up?

Considering how hit-or-miss my Wal-Mart has been on recent releases I was shocked to find they had the "Honeymooners Classic 39 Box Set" for $38.86. Needless to say I grabbed it since I haven't had any luck getting someone to STL for an AMAZON purchase.
I find that Wal-Mart generally has the lowest price on any Paramount TV titles. I bought Cheers, Frasier and CSI all from there -- their prices beat out BB, Target, etc. Columbia-TriStar TV titles are also generally the lowest.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
yes i agree with this BS about promo items. At my CC the cashier said there was a line waiting outside at opening....give me a break!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
If you like Wal-Mart that much (and found the best price on most everything there this week), how come you don't include their prices in your round-up?
There's no point in it, unfortunately. Wal-Mart has no national pricing structure, the price of any DVD is set by local stores in direct line with competitive pressure. So David L's price in Memphis is bound to be different than yours in Iowa City or mine in Tulsa. :)

I got seriously jacked over at my local Best Buy over the Disney coupon. They would in no way accept it and when I price matched the CC ad they took my cd wallet back saying "I could have either one: the price match or the cd wallet" :thumbsdown: (The register supervisor, who the cashier called over to assist her, was very snarky). It's not like the extra .60 cents even mattered, it's the fact of the way their coupons are structured (keyed to big releases) that you just know are gonna cause these kind of problems. I even spoke to the shift manager (who knows I'm in BB every week), who looked ready to give it to me when the snarky supervisor spotted me at the customer service desk and came over and shot it down. :angry:

If my local Circuit City and Target weren't so inept when it came to new releases, I'd take my business elsewhere... I think it's time to see if CC has gotten any better!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
So were any of you right-coast people able to successfully used the Best Buy Coming Attractions 10% Disney coupon on Nemo today? At least one left-coast inquiring mind would like to know...
I used both the 10% coupon and the get $5 off another family DVD offer successfully.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
when I price matched the CC ad they took my cd wallet back saying "I could have either one: the price match or the cd wallet"
that sucks, i was able to pricematch CC and get the wallet. the cashier even mentioned that she was just at CC and they were out of their mousepad promo, but still gave me both.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I don't see how Bestbuy can print a 10% off any Disney DVD coupon that is good during the week a Major Disney DVD comes out and not honor it.

If my store didn't honor it without question I would have raised hell, but they just scanned the coupon and I got the Wallet as well.

John Swarce

Second Unit
I picked up Nemo (along with "The Alien Saga") at BB last night. Price-matched CC @ $14.99 and used the 10% off coupon from the Entertainment book also (I'm in MA, BTW).

Slightly early, but I noticed in the BB coupon book that the coupon for "10% off any DVD Collector's Set" is valid from 11/30/03 through 12/6/03. Does anyone know of any good sets coming out on 12/2/03??????? :D :D :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've all but given up on getting the bonus items offered at CC because I can't get to the store until after work (it's too far away to make a trip at lunch for the freebies). Since missing out on the freebie Alias book that came with the Alias Season 1 DVD set at CC, and also missing out on the mousepad for Finding Nemo, I have resigned myself to just getting the actual DVD for a low price at CC for the time being. On the plus side, I did get the Animatrix mousepad from CC when that DVD came out a few months ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Many of you folks know my history with BestBuy.

Its too bad so many of their employees seem to look upon us "smart shoppers" as the enemy, when usually we are among their best customers. I wonder from what level of their operation does this attitude originate?

As I posted earlier, I got Finding Nemo at my local BJs for $14.99 (And got an attractive $3 off coupon for Pirates of the Caribbean). I had three reasons for making the purchase at BJs:

1.) the $3 coupon of a definite Pirates buy on 12/2.

2.) I was already at BJs, in a rush, and I cut another shopping stop out of my schedule.

3.) I was definitely worried that I might make the effort to go to BestBuy only to be told they wouldn't honor their own coupon. Sad.

They make such an effort (i.e. spend a lot of money) to build a reputation for giving the "best buy" only to shoot themselves in the foot at the first opportunity.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I got the CD wallet and was able to use the 10% off coupon.

The coupon doesn't state that it can only be used on regularly priced items, only in combination with any other coupons or offers. So, just because it's a sale price is no reason to exclude it.

The CD wallet, might exclude it, but it's free, so technically it's not another offer. Price matching qualifies as an offer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wal-Mart question has been answered already, both by David Williams' excellent response, and by myself and others on previous occassions.

I am seriously thinking of adding a line about it to the standard Roundup disclaimer! :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Here, I fully expect Wal-Mart's price on "Finding Nemo" to be around $19.88
I guess it depends where you live.

Since I'm surrounded by BBs and CCs, WalMart always has the lowest price ($14.22 for Nemo).

I also happened to be at CC at 10AM to witness the 'mad mousepad dash'.

I couldn't believe customers and clerks were shouting back and forth in anger.

I guess some people wanted the line at the door to be maintained for the line at the register, but it quickly degenerated into a stampede.

I'll skip all the 'free' crap and look for the lowest price on what I really want, the DVD.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My Best Buy accepted the Disney coupon for Finding Nemo--didn't take any effort at all; the computer just accepted it and adjusted the price.

By the way, everyone's talking about the Disney coupon, but the Coming Attractions booklet also has a 10% off coupon for horror/sci-fi good for this week too. No big horror/scifi releases new this week, but if there's something catalog you've had your eye on, there you go. The local BB still had a ton of the Coming Attractions discs last night. People must not be aware of these coupons.

I also got the coupons in the mail for the next preferred customer shindig, which surprisingly runs through Tuesday 11/11 so it covers new release day! Woo hoo!! Best Buy must want my money....if only they'd send my Rewardzone certificates!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks