What's new

Web hosting auction pictures (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
As of April 4th Geocites was my web hosting of choice. However, now to use Geocities as a web site to host auction pictures you have to pay $5 a month. I know Angelfire does not allow free picture hosting either.

Does anyone know of a good web hosting site that will host pictures for free? I'm not looking to find answers like Ipix os sites of that nature. What I want is a web hosting site to create a web page and use it to host eBay pitures as well.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I know quite a few people that use Shutterfly.com to host pictures. I think though, they have started some wierd white border around the pics, but I'm not sure.

Generally, you can use your ISP. Most ISPs give you a small amount of webspace where you can host a website and some pictures, usually ad-free. A lot of them even let you use a standard FTP client to upload your content. You may want to inquire about that because using your ISP will be the best way to go.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
You know what's funny... I never even thought of using my ISP. I have Road Runner, and not once have I ever opened my E-mail box in the 3 years I have had this account! I dont think I've ever been to Tampa Bay's Road Runner home page since the day RR was installed and the tech made it my home page.

Lol, I'll call them tomorrow and ask them what my login and password is to my Road Runner account!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Hold up there, John.
As a fellow Tampa Bay RR user, I already thought of this. The Road Runner terms of use for their webpages forbid "remote loading," the same problem with Geocities and other such services...
I had a hard time finding a place online to host small pics for me for nothing. I eventually remembered that, as a Mac OS9 user, I had access to free webspace through Apple. Their terms of service don't explicitly forbid "remote loading," however they do say they limit bandwidth. I haven't seen my signature disappear yet, so I assume I'm under their limits. :)
And this piece of the terms of service eliminates Netfirms as well:
xvii. in the instance of the NETFIRMS FREE HOSTING PLAN, any links from other providers' web pages to user's Site that do not first link to an html page on Netfirms.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang, everyone is getting stricter on direct linking, even broadband ISP RR. Makes me glad Comcast is pretty lenient on that.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
And this piece of the terms of service eliminates Netfirms as well...
Funny, I've hosted hundreds of auctions worth of photos on Netfirms for years without a problem. Perhaps it's a matter of refining your technique. I simply FTP the photos to an image directory on my free Netfirms site and then reference the photo location from within the HTML in my EBay listing.
The secret is to avoid using the EBay "Image Gallery." It is a costly feature that does nothing more than insert an IMG tag into your listing (which you can do yourself if you know even a little HTML).
Look at it another way. All you need Netfirms for is to act as a place to deposit your photos. You are simply linking to the photo from within your auction description (for example: IMG SRC="http://blah.netfirms.com/images/photo.jpg"), rather than loading an HTML page that holds the photo. In this way, you can include all the photos you want, with no additional charges from EBay for doing so.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Funny, I've hosted hundreds of auctions worth of photos on Netfirms for years without a problem. Perhaps it's a matter of refining your technique.
I never suggested it wouldn't work if you tried it, just that their terms of service say you can't do it. If one auction starts sucking heavy bandwidth and draws their attention, it could mean they would cancel your free account.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Damn Road Runner. 3 years of never logging into their site, and I ruin it today trying to get it to work. Those damn bastards!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks