Web hosting auction pictures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Besse, Apr 16, 2002.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    As of April 4th Geocites was my web hosting of choice. However, now to use Geocities as a web site to host auction pictures you have to pay $5 a month. I know Angelfire does not allow free picture hosting either.

Does anyone know of a good web hosting site that will host pictures for free? I'm not looking to find answers like Ipix os sites of that nature. What I want is a web hosting site to create a web page and use it to host eBay pitures as well.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I know quite a few people that use Shutterfly.com to host pictures. I think though, they have started some wierd white border around the pics, but I'm not sure.

Generally, you can use your ISP. Most ISPs give you a small amount of webspace where you can host a website and some pictures, usually ad-free. A lot of them even let you use a standard FTP client to upload your content. You may want to inquire about that because using your ISP will be the best way to go.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Try your ISP. Almost all give you a few megs of free web space.

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Netfirms.

5. John Besse

John
    You know what's funny... I never even thought of using my ISP. I have Road Runner, and not once have I ever opened my E-mail box in the 3 years I have had this account! I dont think I've ever been to Tampa Bay's Road Runner home page since the day RR was installed and the tech made it my home page.

Lol, I'll call them tomorrow and ask them what my login and password is to my Road Runner account!

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Hold up there, John.
    As a fellow Tampa Bay RR user, I already thought of this. The Road Runner terms of use for their webpages forbid "remote loading," the same problem with Geocities and other such services...
    I had a hard time finding a place online to host small pics for me for nothing. I eventually remembered that, as a Mac OS9 user, I had access to free webspace through Apple. Their terms of service don't explicitly forbid "remote loading," however they do say they limit bandwidth. I haven't seen my signature disappear yet, so I assume I'm under their limits. [​IMG]
    And this piece of the terms of service eliminates Netfirms as well:

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dang, everyone is getting stricter on direct linking, even broadband ISP RR. Makes me glad Comcast is pretty lenient on that.

8. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

9. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

10. John Besse

John
    Damn Road Runner. 3 years of never logging into their site, and I ruin it today trying to get it to work. Those damn bastards!!! [​IMG]