What's new

WB: Thanks for subtitles on Battle over Citizen Kane (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Whether the English subtitles (captions) were already available or you had to pay for them to be transcribed, thanks for including them on the DVD of Citizen Kane. Very often extras aren't subtitled, even when I plainly seem them available for TV viewings.

My DVD viewing was the first time I've seen this film and the documentary did just what it was supposed to do -- increase the enjoyment even more.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching "Empire of the Sun" and that's how not to do it. There's a documentary there that includes interviews with the real guy who lived the story. There are no English Subtitles for the documentary, even though there are subtitles for Chinese, Tai, Japanese, Portuguese, and Korean. Apparently whoever is responsible for this can't seem to answer the question "why would people who speak English need English subtitles?" :frowning:

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently whoever is responsible for this can't seem to answer the question "why would people who speak English need English subtitles?"
Simple-- subtitles are for TRANSLATION; closed captions are for TRANSCRIBING the spoken word for the hearing impaired.

And don't give out that lame excuse that "some devices don't support closed captions, so english subtitles are needed." If you need closed captions, buy devices that support closed captions, don't pervert the subtitle technology to make up for another product's inadequacies.

(of course I am speaking of R1 titles where closed captioning is available. Other countries, you're on your own!)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The frustrating thing about Empire of the Sun is not only does it not have English Subtitles, but it doesn't have Closed Captions either.

But at least they did Citizen Kane right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks