What's new

Warners, we want a jam packed special edition of Harry Potter on DVD!!!! (1 Viewer)

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd start this thread early since studios usually start working on their DVDs for movies while the movie is still in the theater.
I'd like to see.....
-dts/DD
-Making of documentary
-preview of Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets
-trailers and TV spots
-interactive menus
-featuretes
-animated menus
Other people can add to the list of what they would like to see on the DVD.
Brion

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
-preview of Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets
That's jumping the gun, too. It's just started filming the other bloody day! Okay, maybe they can knock something together by the time the DVD ships, but really...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
You said it! If the film was mixed with 6.1 channels in mind, then I also strongly urge Warner Brothers to go the extra mile and release it with a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track.
If Anchor Bay and New Line can do it, then certainly Warner Brothers with their larger DVD budget can do a spectacular DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track. I suggest they get DTS to supervise this mix and encoding job since they did such a bang up job on The Haunting (a great reference disc to be sure).
Oh, and of course... present it in OAR 2.35:1 widescreen!
Dan

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
What I want to see is NO PAN AND SCAN VERSION AVALIABLE! Hopefully this is the way Chris Columbus sees it and gets his way.

Why not make it a two-disc set and put all the extras on Disc 2, allowing the highest bit-rate for the feature.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
ES Discrete makes no difference for me since I don't have a ES Capable Receiver (I've only been DTS Capable for less than a week!) But why not, especialy if the movie was made like that.

Pull a Twister on that one! (English @ 1509 & 448 + French @ 448) 384kbps should not even be used at all anymore. Especially that "Air-Football" Scene, lots of surround activity - Way too much for 384kbps.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I heard from a friend (I'm having her get me the article) that there is 90 minutes of unused (good) footage for Harry Potter. If this is the case, Chris Columbus could render the 3 hour cut he wanted. Since my only complaint about the film was that it was too short to encompass the whole book (page-by-page), I would love to see a longer cut on DVD.

I'll post the article when I get it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
You said it! If the film was mixed with 6.1 channels in mind, then I also strongly urge Warner Brothers to go the extra mile and release it with a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track.
Well in the credits, there is a Dolby Digital EX logo, so there is a possiblity of a DTS-ES soundtrack. But since this is Warner we're talking about, we most likely won't see it.

Also let's hope Warner has learned from the Willy Wonka debacle, and release an OAR version (though we'll most likely see dual Full Frame/widescreen releases.).

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
WIDESCREEN! WIDESCREEN! WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!
I think I've made my point... :cool:
Oh yeah...and everything that was said above....
The movie rocked...

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Jumping the gun? Not necesarily. I'm sure they have had the DVD in mind from the beginning of the project. Also, I read soemwhere that the deadline for the content on the Planet of the apes DVD was three days after the movie premiered or something like that. Now this is a different movie of course, but I'd imagine the general tactics are usually not that different.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This isn't jumping the gun at all! It's shocking finding out how early DVDs go into production and with Potter being as big as it is there is little doubt Warner is already working away on a forthcoming DVD.
As for Chamber of Secrets preview, it's VERY possbile they would be able to add a teaser trailer. The first Philosopher's Stone teaser appeared in March/April of this year and had a LOT of footage.
My dream specs?
Disc 1:
  • Dolby EX
  • 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen
  • Isolated score
  • Audio commentary
  • Seamless Branching offering original 'Philosopher' title, scenes & dialogue and altered 'Sorcerer' title, scenes & dialogue
Disc 2:
  • Documentary (proper, no EPK rubbish)
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Special FX tests
  • Deleted scenes (inc deleted Peeves footage)
  • International & Domestic Trailers
  • International & Domestic TV Spots
  • International & Domestic Posters/Print adds
  • Chamber of Secrets teaser trailer
2 DISCS! NO DVD-18!
Extended cut would be most welcome IF Chris Columbus actually wanted to do it.
Dan (UK)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'll second Dan's suggestions, and add:
[*]reviews and essays on Harry Potter (the film, the books, the phenomenon) [*]screen tests (might be amusing!) [*]special candid interview with Richard Harris, dishing the dirt on anything he wants ;) [/list]I'm quite happy to have the alleged 4.5hr extended cut whether or not Chris Columbus is involved - it would need to be split across two DVD-9s, with suitable intermission footage added.... But please, let's first have the original Philosopher's Stone theatrical cut.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ooh, Screen Tests! Brilliant suggestion!

Don't let us down on this Warner. If Disney can do a bloody 4 disc special edition for Pearl Harbour there should be no limit to what you're capable of with Harry Potter!

Dan (UK)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Unfortunately it still needs saying:

No OAR = No Sale

And I agree with the others, don't even include a pan&scan version on the disc(s), leave more room for the good stuff, esp. deleted scenes. A Director's Cut with these put back in with seamless branching would be wonderful. A commentary from the 3 kids would be nice as well as a Director and/or JK Rowling commentary.

Any meaningful making of/behind the scenes documentaries should be included, but leave the fluff & marketing pieces off the DVD(s).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Warner has been there since the beginning and have fought many battles with us early adopters so it is with a heavy heart that I say this... When I discover that a new title is going to be released by the Warner studio, I cringe inside. I hope that a good job is done on the Harry Potter DVD, yes. Please restore my faith in your studios DVD works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks