What's new

Warner: suggestions for Forbidden Hollywood Volume 3 (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter

Aren't the first 3 films going to be in Gangsters Vol. 2 and I recall reading on Digital Bits last year, that The Secret Six was coming, too.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I consider Warren William to be the king of Pre-Codes so films like

The Mouthpiece
Match King
Employees Entrance
Skyscraper Souls
Under 18
Dr. Monica

would all be welcome. There are other early William films I like (Mind Reader, Upperworld, etc.) but they don't really fit into a pre-code set so WHV will have to find another way to market them :)

Truth be told there, whatever WHV chooses to put out, I will support. As previously stated in this thread, it is imperative that fans of these films support these releases if we want them to keep coming. Many of these early films are known only to film buffs which makes them an especially hard sell in the marketplace.

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Until I see an official release from Warner I'm not going to assume anything.

Crawdaddy

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Since I'm discovering most of these films through the DVD releases (the hazard of no TCM and having to rely on retrospectives to watch precode films), here are the ones I really want to see, cause they are wonderful:

JIMMY,THE GENT
OUR BETTERS

and anything with James Cagney or Barbara Stanwyck in it.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
My top wants would be:

Midnight Mary (33) (probably my very favorite pre-Code)
The Silver Cord (33)
Private Lives (31)
Red Dust (32)
They Call It Sin (32)
Possessed (31)
The Rise and Fall of Susan Lennox (31)

MissGoddess

Auditioning
Real Name
April Lane
Hi! This is my first posting here. The two pre-codes I most desire on dvd are the William Powell/Kay Francis entries, Jewel Robbery and One-Way Passage. I believe they are outstanding films period, not just because of any raciness or naughtiness but because of their extreme stylishness and the exquisite performances. Jewel Robbery could almost be mistaken for a Lubitsch film, it is so witty, insouciant and the flirtation between Powell and Kay Francis is treated light as air. It's the best of the early "gentleman thief" movies, better even than Raffles. One-Way Passage must be one of the best examples of how to make a tragic love story without being heavy handed or melodramatic. Powell and Francis are "doomed lovers" but there is no sense of doom, only of gallantry, humor, yearning and grace.

There is nothing really "sordid" about either of these films, though, and I hope that won't preclude them from consideration in a "Forbidden Hollywood" collection---or any dvd release.

Miss G

Corey

Screenwriter

I second Midnight Mary and Susan Lenox, but hopefully we get Garbo Vol. 2 to take care of that.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Red Dust should be showing up in the Harlow set. The Secret Six and Beast of the City could just as easily appear in her set as well, though these two would probably be better served in a Gangster Collection.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
My suggestion is The Man In Possession (1931).

This a comedy starring Robert Montgomery and a great supporting cast and it's risque enough to fit the bill. I highly recommend this film!

George

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I would buy these 2 titles in a wink - we all know what a marvellous film ONE WAY PASSAGE is (I loved your description Miss G!) and JEWEL ROBBERY is such a neglected treasure in the pantheon of early 30s films. I hope we get to see both in this or any other type of collection in which they might fit in.

MissGoddess

Auditioning
Real Name
April Lane

Oh, my YES! This movie is exquisite!! And it's very racy and sophisticated in the most impossibly elegant and classy manner. Robert Montgomery is one of my favorite actors, and a most neglected one, in my opinion. Charlotte Greenwood and Reginald Owen provide their unique brand of hilarity to this earlier, and much saucier, version of the Jean Harlow/Robert Taylor vehicle, Personal Property.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Ann Vickers
After Midnight
Animal Kingdom
Bad Company
Employee's Entrance
Lady of Scandal
Midnight Mary
Laughing Sinners
Let Us Be Gay
Life Begins
Life of Vergie Winters
Madame X
Made on Broadway
Man Wanted
Mandalay
Mary Stevens, M.D.
Men in White
Midnight Mary
Our Blushing Brides
Paid
Parachute Jumper
Penthouse
Private Lives
Sadie McKee
Safe in Hell
The Silver Cord
She Had to Say Yes
Strange Interlude
The Strange Love of Molly Louvain
Strangers May Kiss
Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise
Their Own Desire
This Modern Age
The Trial of Mary Dugan
What Price Hollywood?
When Ladies Meet
Hell's Highway

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
"Heroes for Sale" comes to mind because it was a "Forbidden Hollywood" VHS title that didn't make it to laserdisc. Probably they're "looking for better elements"..

I wish Warner (and the reviewers) would realize that some movies are worthy of release for their content even if the film looks less than "perfect".

Marc^H

Agent
"She Had To Say Yes" is still the most shocking pre-Code I've seen (aside from "Baby Face," of course), and it's had little exposure...so it would make a great release.

Would love to see this and "Midnight Mary" find their way into the next edition (in fact, "Midnight Mary" would also make a great double feature with "Two Seconds", since both are about people going to the electric chair).

"Wonder Bar" will probably never be released...thats probably a little TOO "Forbidden" for dvd.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As an extra, I'd like to see them include the TCM produced documentary, Complicated Women. It would make a perfect supplement to these features.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Clearance rights for some of the footage included in the documentary are preventing its inclusion on DVD. This is why WHV produced a new documentary for Volume II. I believe Complicated Women still airs on TCM so the best thing to do is record an off-air copy.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Mike*HTF --

'Wonder Bar' was released on laserdisc? Was it released as a stand-alone title, or as a part of a larger set?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks