What's new

WARNER: Please correct the Pitch issue on A Room With A View before it is released (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Just pulled out my copy of the sd SE of A Room With A View, and feel I can state definitievly this is from a PAL master. The pitch issue is definitely there- and I can also detect a fairly slight, semi-regular slurring of motion/resolution that is a tell tale sign of PAL- NTSC conversion. The visual issue isn't nearly as apparent as the audio issue, though.

I only hope that in advance of the work on this HD DVD (which I'm greatly loking forward to) that if the resources are not there to strike a new non PAL: converted transfer, that at least the audio can be digitally corrected to the correct pitch.

Actually, now that I think of it, Warner probably has little to do with this since they are merely distributing it. Does anyone know how responsive the BBC is to quality control suggestions?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ditto, please. The current DVD is unwatchable. (Well, unlistenable.)

- Steve

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
was on the road since mid September, and am just now getting a chance to go thru some of the great titles that have gotten released since then.
Amazed (actually more like dismayed) that no one has posted here about this.
After reading very harsh negative review for the disc over on DVDtalk earlier in the day, I was prepared for the worst, and then found myself pleasantly suprised.
the picture is just fine and does (as you would think) exhibit more finely resolved detail with less ringing and compression wobbles than are found on the otherwise very nice looking SE DVD. I noticed some very mild ringing still present on the superimposed text, but otherwise the HD DVD (as well as the Bd I'm sure) goes that extra little bit. Contrast appears a hair more dynamic on the DVD, but it isn't by a huge margin.
The SE DVD was a Godsend when it was released since it was replacing an out of print, artifact ridden early bare bones effort.
The gulf between the SE DVD and the HD DVD isn't anywhere near as great- but it is more refined- and I for one don't regret the $18 to upgrade.

Even better is the audio (which is where the DVDTalk review really displays its worthlessness) as the pitch problem has indeed been corrected.
I wasn't sure until I fished out the dvd to compare, but once you do the difference is night and day.

I haven't watched the entire film yet, but noticed none of the PAL conversion ghosting (that was visible on the DVD).

All in all, I'm thrilled to have one of my favorite films in a refined and correct version at last.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is very good news indeed. Paul, thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks