What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: The Harvey Girls (1948) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Who would have thought that the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe would have taken a detour to Dublin and Joyce's Ulysses? :D Bugs Bunny usually got derailed somewhere around Albuquerque, closer to Santa Fe.
You're right. It's a very strange side trip from The Harvey Girls to Ulysses. Back to Sandrock.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Who would have thought that the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe would have taken a detour to Dublin and Joyce's Ulysses? :D Bugs Bunny usually got derailed somewhere around Albuquerque, closer to Santa Fe.
Clearly Jose, you're someone who likes Guinness Stout along with those frosted cupcakes.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I loved 'Portrait of the Artist' but thought Dylan Thomas's version was even better.
I sort of admired Ulysses but thought it too dirty. Not in its language, but in the realistic description of the dirt and grime and unwashed bodies of Dublin in that period.
When I was at school, my Lit teacher lent me 'Ulysses' and Lawrence Sterne's 'Tristram Shandy'. I preferred the latter ... and so did he. Which reminds me ... it must be time to re-read 'Tristram Shandy', What a novel!

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I came across this event on Eventbrite that might be of interest here:

They are hosting seven different events over four days. Some of the other talks look interesting as well from a historical point of view. I wish I had more time to take the rest in. I'm having outpatient surgery on the 13th so I am only signed up for this one.

From the description:
11th Annual Fred Harvey History Weekend at New Mexico History Museum--Online Live! Seven Historic, Delicious Talks Over Four Days!

6. 11/14 at 2:30 PM “Inside The Harvey Girls Movie with Best-Selling Author John Fricke” Garlandista legend John Fricke--two-time Emmy winner as co-producer of Judy documentaries for PBS and A&E, and a Grammy nominee--has written seven books about Judy and Oz, as well as the extensive historic liner notes for the first full CD release of The Harvey Girls . He'll tell inside stories about the making of the movie. And while Fricke is a popular national speaker--especially about Judy and The Wizard of Oz --this is his first-ever talk on The Harvey Girls

Feel free to reach out with questions to [email protected].

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
There's still a lot of MGM Technicolor musicals I'd like to see. The list is getting smaller though.

Show Boat
Annie Get Your Gun
DuBarry Was a Lady
Ziegfield Follies
The Student Prince
Good News
Jupiter's Darling
Two Weeks With Love

Any fans of that last one? It's a great family comedy in the vein of Meet Me in St. Louis, has an all-star cast and made a star out of Debbie Reynolds and gave her her first hit record (Abba Dabba Honeymoon). For some reason, I rarely see it on anybody else's wish lists.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've mentioned Two Weeks With Love many times over the years on this site. I love that film. One time I mentioned it was to dispute Debbie Reynolds who said that Singin' in the Rain was the first time she danced in a film, but she clearly dances a couple of times in this movie. I also think that "Row, Row Row," while maybe not the novelty delight of "Abba Dabba Honeymoon," is still a great number and one worth celebrating. Powell is terrific throughout the movie and Montalban looks properly dashing and swoon-worthy.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Give em an inch and they'll take a yard.
Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.

But we still need;
Till The Clouds Roll By
Words and Music
Royal Wedding
Duchess of Idaho
Nancy Goes to Rio
Scaramouche
Young Bess
Easy to Love
Knights of the Round Table(well not really)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Matt, my sentiments exactly. I love 'Two Weeks with Love'. It's a neglected gem. I remember years ago when I bought the soundtrack and was entranced by it for weeks. The only thing you forgot to mention was that terrific performance by Jane Powell of the totally infectious (in a better way than Covid!) 'Oceana Roll'.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This BluRay will look great with my G scale replica of the huffing and puffin' 49.
20201111_160854.jpg
20201111_160835.jpg
20201111_161127.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
There's still a lot of MGM Technicolor musicals I'd like to see. The list is getting smaller though.

Show Boat
Annie Get Your Gun
DuBarry Was a Lady
Ziegfield Follies
The Student Prince
Good News
Jupiter's Darling
Two Weeks With Love

Any fans of that last one? It's a great family comedy in the vein of Meet Me in St. Louis, has an all-star cast and made a star out of Debbie Reynolds and gave her her first hit record (Abba Dabba Honeymoon). For some reason, I rarely see it on anybody else's wish lists.
All great choices. I think "Sweethearts" (1938) as the first full MGM 3-strip Technicolor movie deserves to be on blu as well.

Reactions: PMF

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've not heard the Ann Blyth version of 'Oceana Roll'. I'll have to attend to that!
Just the other day I picked up a second copy on 78 rpm of the Jane Powell version so that I'll have a standby in case it ever cracks. It's a favourite when I take my wind-up British Columbia gramopnone to the garden when we have friends gather. That will happen again one day....

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
All great choices. I think "Sweethearts" (1938) as the first full MGM 3-strip Technicolor movie deserves to be on blu as well.

Sweethearts may "deserve" to be on blu, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Quite frankly, everything points towards it NOT coming. At least, as I recall, WAC was asked about it a few years ago on their Facebook page, and the reply from whomever was running the page at that time was that they do NOT have the film elements to bring it to Blu-ray. Now, maybe in the time since (I think that was in 2016), they *might* have found better elements to work with or restoration technology may have advanced enough that they can do more with lesser elements, but I still have my doubts that either option is that likely, at least for that movie. Of course, the best way to find out at this point would be to write in to their podcast to ask them, and see whether things have changed for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.