What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: The Strawberry Blonde (1941) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is a film that I loved when I saw it at the Walsh retro at MOMA in 1974. Not a masterpiece by any means, but oh so charming, and Cagney and Rita Hayworth and Olivia de Haviland--cast as a bloomer girl, if my memory is accurate--work so well together. And the photography, by James Wong Howe, was magnificent, taking the film, and especially the Gay NIneties period aspect of it, to a whole other level. Well worth seeking out.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This is the first remake of the 1933 Gary Cooper movie, "One Sunday Afternoon". It was remade again in 1948 as a musical also called "One Sunday Afternoon" with Dennis Morgan. I believe Warner Bros. owns the 1933 version, originally released by Paramount, which they obtained with the remake rights. It would of course be great if the Archive restored and released the 1933 film on blu ray. Raoul Walsh directed both "The Strawberry Blonde" and "One Sunday Afternoon" (1948). "The Strawberry Blonde" is the best version of this story. Looking forward to this release.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This is a film that I loved when I saw it at the Walsh retro at MOMA in 1974. Not a masterpiece by any means, but oh so charming, and Cagney and Rita Hayworth and Olivia de Haviland--cast as a bloomer girl, if my memory is accurate--work so well together. And the photography, by James Wong Howe, was magnificent, taking the film, and especially the Gay NIneties period aspect of it, to a whole other level. Well worth seeking out.
And shown, the same day, with the lesser musical remake, One Sunday Afternoon, also directed by Walsh.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I was fortunate enough to meet Olivia de Havilland back in 2014 and she told me that because the wardrobe department would get the latest scripts ahead of most others, she would sneak in after everyone had left for the day, take the script(s) home with her, quickly read it, and then return it first thing the next morning before anyone knew it was missing. This is how she would learn of the best parts and then go after them. One such film was The Strawberry Blonde, and she said the role of Amy was one she enjoyed playing very much. I can't wait to revisit this film!

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
And shown, the same day, with the lesser musical remake, One Sunday Afternoon, also directed by Walsh.
Yes. I recall seeing One Sunday Afternoon, especially that the color was lovely, but remember almost nothing else about it. Whereas, I still remember whole scenes from Strawberry Blonde vividly, the compositions and especially the lighting. Then again, was there anyone who was a greater master when it came to lighting than James Wong Howe? In the the way he lit scenes, that illumination seemed to take on a life of its own, and refer to other aspects, other realities, the way the work of certain painters do, like Caravaggio, so the lighting doesn't express the story in as much as the textures and shadows become their own rasion d'etre, a kind of parallel artistic statement. That happens a lot in the films Howe was DP on--for instance, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House--but is especially inspired when he is working with Raoul Walsh, for Walsh, as a creator of images, composed in similar ways, going all the way back to Regeneration from 1915, so this was an unique collaboration.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yes. I recall seeing One Sunday Afternoon, especially that the color was lovely, but remember almost nothing else about it. Whereas, I still remember whole scenes from Strawberry Blonde vividly, the compositions and especially the lighting. Then again, was there anyone who was a greater master when it came to lighting than James Wong Howe? In the the way he lit scenes, that illumination seemed to take on a life of its own, and refer to other aspects, other realities, the way the work of certain painters do, like Caravaggio, so the lighting doesn't express the story in as much as the textures and shadows become their own rasion d'etre, a kind of parallel artistic statement. That happens a lot in the films Howe was DP on--for instance, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House--but is especially inspired when he is working with Raoul Walsh, for Walsh, as a creator of images, composed in similar ways, going all the way back to Regeneration from 1915, so this was an unique collaboration.
The Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth owns a Caravaggio, The Card Cheaters, and I practically kneel before it every time I visit. I am always transfixed and enthralled whenever I stand in front of a Caravaggio painting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Note: Wrong release date in this Facebook post as it should be Tuesday, April 25th.

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on April 24!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE (1941)

Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Classic Merrie Melodies Cartoon: TORTOISE BEATS HARE (HD), Classic WB Short POLO WITH THE STARS (HD), Vintage radio show adaptations: SCREEN GUILD THEATER (10/5/41) with James Cagney and Olivia de Havilland and LUX RADIO THEATER (3/23/42) with Don Ameche and Gail Patrick, Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, Rita Hayworth, Jack Carson

The Strawberry Blonde is bustles and sleeve garters and crowded beer-garden dance floors. It is warmth, wit and charm, a nostalgic tale embraced three times – twice as One Sunday Afternoon and most memorably in this sunny comedy romance starring James Cagney and Olivia de Havilland and directed with vigor and affection by Raoul Walsh. Cagney plays correspondence school dentist Biff Grimes, who marries Amy (de Havilland) on the rebound after the strawberry blonde he fancies (Rita Hayworth in the role that solidified her stardom) elopes with one of his chums (Jack Carson). But years later a chance encounter convinces Biff he got the better half of the deal. “I’m a happy man”, Biff proclaims. Happy too is everyone who sees the genial charmer.

1680513088130.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks