What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Announcement: A Lion is in the Streets (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize-1.jpeg

Special Features: TRAILER; WARNER CARTOON "DUCK, RABBIT, DUCK"; WARNER BROS. COMEDY SHORT "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN'T SLEEP

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Viewed at MoMA during the Walsh retrospective. A pale imitation of All the King's Men. Cagney is excellent and the Technicolor cinematography is quite good. Not so the movie.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Viewed at MoMA during the Walsh retrospective. A pale imitation of All the King's Men. Cagney is excellent and the Technicolor cinematography is quite good. Not so the movie.
Well, it's no White Heat but it has its pleasures, profundities and surprises. After all, it's Cagney and Walsh. There's gold in them there hills, even if this particular strain has been mined by others. And there's a moment towards the end, which I won't give away, that in its emotional clarity and splendor and shock, as well as visualization by Walsh, has remianed with me all these years. For that scene alone, the film is worth spending time with. But there's so much more. And it grows on you with repeated viewings. Well, it did for me, anyway. But I guess it depends on your expectations. For me, Warners films before 1954 with Cagney directed by Walsh are essential viewing, and there's two coming out next month. I can't wait.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Note: Wrong release date in this Facebook post as it should be Tuesday, April 25th.

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on April 24th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of original Technicolor camera negatives!

A LION IS IN THE STREETS (1953)

Run Time 88:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Classic Merrie Melodies Cartoon “Duck! Rabbit, Duck” (HD), Classic Joe McDoakes Comedy Short "So You Think You Can’t Sleep", Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: James Cagney, Barbara Hale, Anne Francis, Frank McHugh
Folks trust Hank Martin will be the voice of the backwoods poor if they put him in the governor’s mansion. But they’re trusting the wrong man. James Cagney (as Hank) and maverick moviemaker Raoul Walsh (director of Cagney’s “The Roaring Twenties” and “White Heat”) catch lightning again in this powerhouse tale of the Deep South. When he reveals a local mill has short-weighed cotton farmers, Hank becomes a hero – and a gubernatorial favorite. But his bid for office becomes a power grab that sells out those closest to him. These “folkses”, as Hank calls them, include the schoolmarm he marries (Barbara Hale), a swamp siren he can’t resist (Anne Francis), and farmers (Lon Chaney and Jeanne Cagney) who rally to his cause. They’re backers of Hank’s meteoric rise, and witnesses to his even faster fall.

1680512904169.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.